Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Heater selector switch

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I just figured I would pass this little bit of info that I learned yesterday. I was browsing through the owner's manual for my truck which I never even bothered to look at before and found some good info about the heater. I've always had the heater aimed at the floor and my feet would sweat and the window would be a bit icy or would have it on defrost and I would be sweating trying to keep the windshield clear. Well according to the owner's manual if you put the switch in between where it says deforst and floor it gives you the option of having some heat out the defroster vents and some aimed to the floor like you can on new cars. I never knew this before and figured some of you may not either since it is not marked on the controls. I think it is great because I use this feature a lot when driving other cars so it is nice to know I can do it in my truck now too.

Known this since day 1.

Good post though.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Thanks. I wish I know this the past winters I drove it. lol

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Until you mentioned it Sean, I didn't know that either...I just assumed that you went directly to the marked spot on the lever!

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
That's what I thought too. You would think they would have marked it. I wonder how many people have been driving around for years like me not knowing lol.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Probably more than people will admit to...:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I think the heater valve is cable operated but the doors do work on vacuum. I wonder if it makes a difference as to whether it has the basic heater or those with A/C?

Last edited:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Mine has two cables. I think ones with a/c have vacuum and that probably would make it easier to notice the door opening at the halfway point.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I think you are right Sean...without A/C is all cable actuated.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
My dad first showed me this trick in the old '78, so I've used it for years. But, I did think that is was just "trick" that people figured out until I read the same thing Sean did in the owner's manual. I was surprised to see that it is an actual setting.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I stumbled across this by accident as well...but still didn't know it was planned to be that way...just figured something was wrong, but in a way I liked...haha.

Heater Only:

Those marks are only to mark FULL ON.
Because of the cable function especially thee doors move per lever adjustment and gives one portions of each option

as opposed to the AC controls

HeaterACoperation.jpg

Last edited:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Only 1973/79 F100/350's (1978/79 Bronco's) with factory installed integral A/C have a heater water valve. It's vacuum controlled, spliced into the heater hose behind the air cleaner.

It's also been a POS since day one, notorious for getting stuck open/closed/halfway.

D4AZ-18495-A (replaced D1AZ-18495-A) .. Heater Water Valve (Motorcraft YG-136) / Available from Ford.

With factory installed integral A/C, mounted on the backside of the A/C-Heater control panel is this little charmer:

D5TZ-19B888-A .. A/C Vacuum Control Selector Valve Assy (Motorcraft YH-285) / Obsolete

This valve includes the 'kicker switch' for the compressor. All the A/C-Heater vacuum hoses for the water valve and the damper (blend) doors connect to this valve.

On each damper door is a vacuum motor.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts