Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Tire talk II

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Back on the hunt for tires for the F-150. I'm looking for the closest thing to a road tire (tread-wise), which is rather difficult with a 12.5" wide rim. The truck has been off road a total of three times and seen snow for a total of 14 days since I've owned it. The highway miles are going to be drastically increased this year with a life goal I plan on achieving.

Anywho, I've been considering the Falken Rocky Mountain ATS. The 50k mile warranty really has me hooked (I drive 30-40 thousand miles a year!). The price is pretty good for something this size, too.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...c=18295&ar=1250&rf=true&rd=15&rc=GAAINT&cs=33

Option two is something I've been weighing - changing up the rim size to something a touch narrower. I could very well sell my current rims for $400-500 and buy some Cragar-style wagon wheels in a 10.5"ish width for roughly $300-400. This option could grab me something like a BFG T/A KO for a few dollars less per tire. Not really the best option for highway use, IMO... but it could help with road resistance.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Could be a possibility :D

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Never had Falkens myself by my neighbor had the BFG T/A KO.. he said he liked them.. his only complaint was they were a lil noisy on the highway... but he said the radios volume knob solved that...

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Try looking at these RF10 Hankooks http://www.tiremanusa.com/shop-for-tires/view/sr/width/33/rim/15/brand/-1.aspx?aspect=12.5 Austin - i sell these and run them on my own truck (235/75/15) and with nearly 35000 miles on them over our terrible coarse chip roads they still have 60% of the tread left.
I guess the question needs to be asked ....... given your propensity for changing vehicles at a faster rate then the rest of us smilietease would you be better served with a set like this .

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/pts/4345433814.html

Sidewinder Radial 33/12.50/15 Tires and Wheels - $500 (East Cobb)
image 1image 2image 3image 4image 5
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map) (yahoo map)
Sidewinder Radial 33/12.50/15 Tires and Wheels from a 1990 Ford Bronco. Tires are 80%+ Great Deal for Great set of tires.

If interested call Robert 770-652-9795. Do not email with requests to ship. Do not send me emails asking to meet because I sound amazing in this ad and attaching a picture of a woman in a thong with their butt in the air. I AM NOT INTERESTED!!!! I am a straight female listing for my male friend. CASH ONLY!! Will not trade or ship. DO NOT ASK.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
If you did do it, I'd recommend Michelin LTX MS tires, they are an awesome long wearing highway tire.

But don't do it. You'll be wasting your money and you know it.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
If you did do it, I'd recommend Michelin LTX MS tires, they are an awesome long wearing highway tire.

Michelin LTX MS, got 90K out of my first set on my 97 Chevy, been sold on them ever since. Had a set on my 03 F250, but pulled and Austin and traded it in, LOL.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC

I have the LTX A/T on the the 350 and love em.. nice soft for road bumps but not soft enough to defeat the load carry capacity.. smoothed out my highway travel from what was originally on it.. Ive had the A/T's in heavy rain, mud. Snow & Loose gravel w/ steep inclines on both.. They gripped like a champ.. The deep water channels plows through deep puddles like theyre not even there... Theyre slightly noisier than the Sailun Terramax that were on it when I got it.. but the wind noise around the cab at 75 is louder than them lol..

Option two is something I've been weighing - changing up the rim size to something a touch narrower. I could very well sell my current rims for $400-500 and buy some Cragar-style wagon wheels in a 10.5"ish width for roughly $300-400. This option could grab me something like a BFG T/A KO for a few dollars less per tire. Not really the best option for highway use, IMO... but it could help with road resistance.

Been searching the board and seen this thread. We're about to change our rim too to 10.5"ish and get the best tire for mostly offroad. Have you decided?
Been checking this site referred by a friend for good discount deals http://4wheelonline.com/Off_Road_Mud_Tires.25 and seems got a lot of options..

Ford Truck Articles