Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Let there be light

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
One of the big (and only complaints) about my Gen 4 Taurus Taurus is the lighting. Specifically, the headlights on a dark country road. So I went out and bought a set of Sylvania Silverstar Ultras. Better... but still not right. A trip into the garage showed the problem- the driver's side was aimed much too high, the passenger side pointed down at the pavement. Simple fix- although it took a 4mm ratchet. The only adjustment is light height- via a 4mm screw at the top of the headlight assembly. Removal is required to perform this adjustment- loosen a 8mm bolt holding the headlamp down at the outer edge, pull both sliding tabs, and the headlight comes right out. Adjust (counter-clockwise with the ratchet moves it up) against a target lined on the fridge and freezer, and voila!

The difference is amazing. Of note, I doubt these headlights have ever been removed, and there weren't any telltale scratches on the adjustment screw- meaning it's likely the cars headlights were always like this.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I put those in my Hella headlights. There are lots of comments about not lasting very long. I've had mine about two years with lots of nighttime use and lots of vibration(dirt roads), and have had no issues. I would certainly buy another set.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
If I may answer for Ernie, 4th generation was 2000-2007. My son's 2002 also suffered from droopy eyes. Driving in downtown Seattle at night with him was a real treat.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
One of the big (and only complaints) about my Gen 4 Taurus Taurus is the lighting. Specifically, the headlights on a dark country road. So I went out and bought a set of Sylvania Silverstar Ultras. Better... but still not right. A trip into the garage showed the problem- the driver's side was aimed much too high, the passenger side pointed down at the pavement. Simple fix- although it took a 4mm ratchet. The only adjustment is light height- via a 4mm screw at the top of the headlight assembly. Removal is required to perform this adjustment- loosen a 8mm bolt holding the headlamp down at the outer edge, pull both sliding tabs, and the headlight comes right out. Adjust (counter-clockwise with the ratchet moves it up) against a target lined on the fridge and freezer, and voila!

The difference is amazing. Of note, I doubt these headlights have ever been removed, and there weren't any telltale scratches on the adjustment screw- meaning it's likely the cars headlights were always like this.

ive noticed this is becoming problematic among other vehicles as well.. top of my cab stands at 6'10".. and am frequently having people behind me lately that their headlights are misaimed lighting up my cab like its fricken day time.. and its not just like they have brighter bulbs.. when looking back in the mirror you can tell when theyre not aimed right.. because the ones aimed too high shine like a fricken spot light into the mirror.. wish theyd include headlight adjustment in the state inspections.. get these people with out of adjustment lights fixed.

which when i got the SD i had the same issue with the adjustment.. they were aimed too high.. couldnt see at night.. (they were pointed at the top of my 8' high garage door.. ) before i checked it i though it was just from being use to shorter vehicles was why it seemed so dark.. but once i checked it i found the real reason.. now its adjusted correctly and can see better at night.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Same problem here Shawn, some intentionally aim the lights up. Very annoying and dangerous. Fog lights are the one that gets me. They are meant to light up just in front of the vehicle, not at the same height or higher than the headlights.

yep.. i actually aimed my headlights little lower than they probably should be on the truck... but i didnt want to be blinding people either being up higher... its not by much either...

on the mustang shining on a wall you can visually see the alignment difference...

I let them pass then put my brights on behind them.

not always possible in rush hr traffic around here... sometimes id like to brake check em to help with that alignment.. but never do it..

Ford Truck Articles