Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Battery replacement

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
After 6 years and a week of standing idle, the 'ol truck groaned a bit on starting last Monday.

I got a bit of a surprise when I went to replace the batteries, the whole metal side of the battery compartment had self destructed from rust...:headbang:

It just looked like surface rust...guess not. I will have to order one from Ford....used a piece of plastic as a temporary cover.

Installed 3 new 1060 CCA batteries.

DSCF5631.JPG

DSCF5633.JPG

DSCF5634.JPG

DSCF5635.JPG

DSCF5636.JPG

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
They use a shitload of salt here...I am surprised it has rusted this badly though.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Are those AGM batteries?

That's a lot of rust for 6 years worth of run time.

No....just standard flooded units.

Yes, the rust seems insane for the steps, air tanks, fuel tanks and battery box.

New cover came in today......when I ordered it last week, the partswoman didn't want to tell me the price....

"you are not going to believe what they want for that piece of metal"

:headbang:

Putting it on tomorrow.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Father Ford has all of us Ford truck lovers by the old short and curlies, I go through that at times when I need the occasional odd part for my 78 F-150 Ranger Lariat, case in point my tailgate bumpers my lower ones were for a 2000 up Super Duty, but my upper ones were for a 2007 Chevy Colorado, fuel filler door bumpers were for a 2014 Super Duty, but my glovebox door bumpers and under dash courtesy lamps were from a mid 90's Jeep Grand Cherokee, because Ford couldn't get those parts for me at a reasonable price, but those Jeep parts that I had used, I had gotten them for the really NICE PRiCE, a.k.a for free, from a friend who who was parting out a Jeep Grand Cherokee., but I also consider the LMC Truck catalog for the 73-79 Ford trucks rather helpful to me.smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
order??? you mean you cant figure out how to build one yourself duncan??

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Father Ford has all of us Ford truck lovers by the old short and curlies, I go through that at times when I need the occasional odd part for my 78 F-150 Ranger Lariat, case in point my tailgate bumpers my lower ones were for a 2000 up Super Duty, but my upper ones were for a 2007 Chevy Colorado, fuel filler door bumpers were for a 2014 Super Duty, but my glovebox door bumpers and under dash courtesy lamps were from a mid 90's Jeep Grand Cherokee, because Ford couldn't get those parts for me at a reasonable price, but those Jeep parts that I had used, I had gotten them for the really NICE PRiCE, a.k.a for free, from a friend who who was parting out a Jeep Grand Cherokee., but I also consider the LMC Truck catalog for the 73-79 Ford trucks rather helpful to me.smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo smilieFordlogo

I could never bring myself to putting other parts on my beloved Ford.

order??? you mean you cant figure out how to build one yourself duncan??

For me to build it to match the original one would be way more in time and tools for what it cost.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
how much was the battery tray from ford?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
yeah you coulda built it cheaper lol... $30 ish for plate of sheet metal... jig saw or tin snips if your skillfull enough with them.. cutting disk for angle grinder works too... drill bit and pop rivits can make a simple cover.... if you want to use nuts and bolts itd be a little more... but way less han 140...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I disagree....need a press brake, sheet metal flanger, spot welder....and even if I didn't use those tools and butchered something together, it would be a few hours worth of work.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
press brake?? nahh.... same with sheet metal flanger.... spot welders are only good for pinch welding 2 sheets of metal together... and its only a small dot...

if it takes ya a few hrs to do it then ya be slackin... and i said a simple cover not a complicated one lol

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i know you said cover... but they wanted $120 for the tray to go in my s10 i had.. it had a bunch of stupid complicated angles... i simpled it out out...

8-27-07027.jpg

8-27-07028.jpg

yes my battery was leaking badly when i pulled it out to take these pics :(.. little hard to keep acid in a battery when it splits the shell...

8-27-07030.jpg

little foam to keep it from moving around... made it for a bigger battery when i built it..

8-27-07031.jpg

something simple... took all of 30 mins.. but yeah i do have a stick welder that helped put it together.. but nuts and bolts would have worked just as well..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Your choice...I want OEM stuff on my vehicles.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i did too... but wasnt paying them what they wanted for "plastic" replacement.. original was steel.. replacement was plastic...

and see its not the price difference or time that was an issue.. lol it was you wanted original lol...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Arrived and installed..

20140929_105526.jpg

20140929_105533.jpg

20140929_110818.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts