Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

In the shop.

My extended warranty is up soon so I brought my truck in for a safety inspection. It needs new tie rod ends, a rear pinion seal, and I have a oil leak somewhere. The shop added some die to my oil to track where the leak is coming from. It feels a lot more tight now that it has new tie rod ends and a wheel alignment.

Truck went in today. Tie rod ends were done prior to today, so rear pinion, and my main bearing seal are being done. I paid $2500 for the extended warranty. I've paid $700 in repairs already. With the tie rod ends, pinion and bearing seal, I hope I get my moneys worth out of these repairs. I'm curious to see what the shop bill is going to be.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I was going to go for an extended Ford warranty on my 05, but it would only cover so much, so I said screw it.

I was hoping to see what the total cost for my repairs would have been. On the invoice all it says is warranty. Total repairs.
job 1-replace both tie rod ends. Wheel alignment.
job 2-relace rear main seal and slinger(not sure what that is)
job 3-rear pinion seal, seal flange, seal asy, gasket, and rear axle oil.
job 4-replace transfer case input seal.
Any guess as to how many shop hours would have taken. I feel I have had my moneys worth. I hate oil leaks.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^I'm going to guess $1100 for all that. I have no idea really.

Truck went in again yesterday. The steering was stiff at 1 o'clock and at 11 o'clock. Turns out the the steering shaft was seized. Not covered under warranty. I got a break on parts and labor because my mom works a the dealership. Still sucks. They also replaced the Right upper control arm, and wheel bearing, which was covered and was a $1500 job. That was nice. My warranty expires in two weeks. I hope this will be it for a while.

Fellro

Staff member
the rear main itself required the trans to be pulled, which led them to the t-case seal. That by itself is likely over $1000. Total labor bill would easily be closer to $2000. Then you add in the parts... Might have been about a break even.

Another $500 went into the truck last month. New battery and alternator. Refurbished alternator would have cost $385 from the dealer. With my moms discount it cost $255. The best part was changing the alternator in a parking lot in -25c weather. The warm engine kept my hands warm at least.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That sucks when it's cold like that.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
That was a warm day for us last month. I'm sure you had some nasty weather this year as well.

Very little actually....we have had a pretty mild Winter all around.

oh the whine. Sounds like the power steering. The fluid looks burnt, and I have never changed it since I've had the truck. So I'm going to change the fluid and see if that helps. oh the oil consumption. like what the heck. It doesnt drip, and doesnt have the blues. It just eats it up. not sure how much. It's already down from its oil change last month.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts