Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Warm start issue

greetings, just as the title says, after the truck has been driven and she's warmed up to "operating temp", and I shut 'er down for say 30 minutes or so, and then try to fire 'er back up, she don't wanna turn over. takes several cycles, and by that I mean letting the glow plugs cycle and then cranking her over repeatedly, like 4 or 5 times and then she fires up. I don't like it, not only is it embarassing, but a potential safety issue. If anyone could clue me in on why this could be I would appreciate it, thanks.

Fellro

Staff member
It is possible the injection pump is wearing down. It might be losing prime, but you should notice that more when it is cold and been sitting for a while. Glow plugs also should be more noticeable on cold startup.

hey, thanks for the replies, hmm, injection pump, that sounds expensive, got 146,000 miles on the clock. Do you think that is enough for it to be wearing out? One other detail about this problem, seems like it occurs more when it is rainy/damp...

When it's cold I expect her to start hard, so I usually try to get 'er plugged in, replaced a couple glow plugs last fall. Usually starts up on the first crank when cold.

By not turning over I meant the engine. starter and battery sound good and strong, did not think to look at the voltage meter.

One of those tricky intermittent problems...

Fellro

Staff member
Injection pumps can be had for $300 or so. A common issue they have is good cold starts but not so good warm starts. The thing to remember with these trucks and mileage is you can not verify how many times the odometer has flipped.... So unless you know without a doubt that is the actual mileage, expect it to be more. But it is definitely possible for the pump to be wearing out at that time. Care and fuel quality have a lot to do with it. That is actually low miles for the age.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Do you run any sort of additive to make up for the ultra low sulfer fuel? I know a lot of people's injector pumps died prematurely shen they went to the ulsd. Gotta add a lubricant to the fuel...

well, happened again tonight, certainly feels like the prime is lost, reminds me of how it starts after I change the fuel filter.

Looked at my Haynes for some more info, prolly just have to get 'er to the mechanic....

I been running Power Service, about a capful with every fill up, went to the Napa brand this past winter. Was thinking of trying another brand, can't recall the name.

Fellro

Staff member
Usually the prime issue shows up on overnight or extended stops. It usually will fire fine, then die and not refire for the typical drainback problem. The GM 6.2 and 6.5 use essentially the same pump, so do a search on warm start problems for Roosamaster pumps and you will find that they replace the pumps to fix it. If it fired and died almost immediately I could agree better. With the drainback problem, the pump retains a little fuel but the filter gets drained. This allows the initial fire then it runs out of fuel. With the worn pump, when it warms up the pressure gets low due to being too wide, allowing internal leakage, thus lowering the pressure applied to the injectors. Eventually the pressure gets so low it doesn't properly open the injectors any more, so the fuel is not put into the cylinder.

Last edited:
alright, had to look up roosamaster, 'cuz ya totally lost me at GM 6.2, lol. Sorta trackin' ya now... Gonna drive the old girl tomorrow, (took the bus today! ugh.), and see how she does, just a little worried I might totally burn the pump out, and be stranded.

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
It won't be likely to totally fail due to these issues, just that it gets lower pressure when warm. Starvation burns out pumps... It is all metal internally for the most part. The diesel is the only lubricant it gets.

greetings been awhile... drove the old beast a couple weeks ago, spent a day runnin' 'er up in the hills, nice hot day too. Pulled like a champ, but every time I shut her down, took a bit of crankin' to get 'er goin' again.

Thinking back, it seems like the issues started after I put a new fuel filter on in February, Napa 3417, can anyone tell me if that would be the appropriate part for a '93 IDI?

Fellro

Staff member
Unless it is leaking around the seal, it should not cause starting issues. The fuel should still be there from when it was running no matter the filter. If it runs fine on the road, then the filter itself is not the problem, but drain down could be. Usually when there is an air leak that allows the fuel to drain back to the tank, it will fire for a short period on the fuel in the pump, then die and take a lot of cranking to get the fuel all the way back from the tank.

alright, thanks guys... just hoping it was something cheap and easy. I'll get her to the mechanic one of these days, I did read somewhere that the fuel lines could be the issue, but I'll keep ya'll posted of the outcome. Maybe time for that 6bt swap, lol.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Keep some bottled water in the truck with you. Next time you shut her down, before you start her up pour the cool(not cold) water over the top of the injection pump. If it fires right up(or pretty much right up) then the injection pump is ready for replacement. All those things are is aluminum and when they were manufactured sulfur content was higher. They relied on the sulfur for lubricity and don't get that with today's fuel. Let me know what happens.

thanks flareside thunder. I haven't been around a whole lot this summer to drive the 'old oilburner, kind of my winter truck, so I'll be getting her out more. haven't done anything with 'er, 'cept drive it once a couple weeks ago, she had sat for month, and ran fine, took a few cranks to get to fire up, but yeah, gonna have to check her over a bit closer before the snow flies.

UPDATE! lol

rest easy now foks, got new batteries, and couple fuel lines replaced, and she's doin' good now, so I treated her to an oil change, 15w-40, and a new air filter.

oh, and an another off the wall question, anyone ever put 2cycle mix in their diesel? did a search on here and the interwebs, nothing here but the Mopar guys seem to dig it...

Ford Truck Articles