Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

85 6.9 glow plug killer

Well a neighbor found an old bullet style from one of his old 88 trucks..
Its a good used autolite...so I was going to try it just to see if the plug swelled after giving it juice...Then I had an even better idea...just for the sake of eliminating posibilities..I am sticking the known good plug in but I am not hooking it up. I am going to try to start her up without any aids..ether, glow plugs..
Then I am going to try to keep her warm and in use all day....I will then re-inspect the plug...if it looks good we can eliminate that...Then I will try the plug if it has shown no sighns of damage...

Here is what I pulled out of drivers side front most cylinder....this started the truck once. had a 10 minute ride then never worked again. the shiny part is from the swollen part being worked out ...been lucky so far, none have broke...but quite a few are swollen

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
The bullet style runs a different voltage than the spade type.

Doing that will for certain eliminate the engine from the possibilities, and ease your mind on that.

Well. I still havnt powered. The plug. What voltage is it 12v for the 88 bullet style? Did get it started without ether or plugs..so I will check the plug tomorrow after a dump run.

Ok ran the truck this weekend. Started with only plenty of cranking power and a block heater. My sacrificial glow plug is NOT swollen. Just a litt le carbon or soot...so I can't stick.12v on this thing???

So I am ready to toast some new beru/motorcraft plugs. I have gone as far as trying to put a load on the gp relay just to see if I could make something show its face. On and off nice and clean..only used a heater motor and drop light. But nothing showing sighns of relay failing under load, although I am sure I didn't quite mimic. The load of A8 glow plugs. .well nothing left now except trying the new plugs...I am going to count a very fast 5 seconds while holding this button...

Fellro

Staff member
I am only finding that they are apparently 12v as well, but I know they don't play well with the factory original controller. They are fine for the relay though.

Ford Truck Articles