Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Could I pull it off?

Rot rat or leathery luxury?

• Total voters

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
So, a thread on the rolledon paint forum got me thinking about my roadblock of a project with the cow, err F-SD. Anywho, he's doing a forced patina'ddddd paint job. Not forcing rust, but making a fake rust.

http://rolledon.forummotion.com/t822-my-1965-c-10-shop-truck-faux-tina-paint-or-bust

I realllllly like the idea, but was wondering if ya'll thought it would look out of place on the F-SD. (it is a work truck, mind you) I might even throw on some door art & other touches; that's something I'd have a blast with.

Please, when deciding, disregard resell value.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I live where rust is pretty well a given...

I'd rank the idea as slightly stupider than punching yourself in the eye as hard as possible to impress the ladies with your black eye.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Your truck does not fit in with that typical idea of making an 'old shop truck'. IMO, this could possibly be one of the worst things that could be done to your truck, that and lowering it.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I'd rank the idea as slightly stupider than punching yourself in the eye as hard as possible to impress the ladies with your black eye.

I think that's sig worthy

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
We spend thousands of dollars trying to prevent rust... Don't put the fake stuff on there.

Ryan

Possum

Georgia Chapter member
Personnaly, I'd go with a handmade, spray can, fully-camo job
(with hot pink background)

But between the choices, I thought the bacon was the bestsmilietease

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
bacooooooooooooooon :D

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Personnaly, I'd go with a handmade, spray can, fully-camo job
(with hot pink background)

But between the choices, I thought the bacon was the bestsmilietease

This.....

Personally, eff no. One "unique" paint job i saw awhile back on an old rat rod, in a mag, was the sheet metal sanded down to bare metal, polished up and clear coated. I liked that WAY more than the fake patina, heck im not much of a fan of real patina.... haha

I like black, and red blue or green on black....

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I never understood the patina look...you dump lots of money into a rig to make it look like crap??? Just didn't make sense to me. Shoot, if it was originally done because all you cared about was speed or because you were trying to be a rebel, that's cool, but it's not unique anymore. I'll agree, certain vintages pull it off better than others...but the F-SD does not fit that criteria.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I prefer the real thing:

S1052273.jpg

S1052275.jpg

S1052271.jpg

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
That is a 20 gal fuel cell. I am pretty sure that as of right now, that cab will end up on my Broncos frame, and leave it as is, with no paint.

primetime

sawmill slave
X2 on keeping on with what you`ve got. Patina might work on my F-5 (even though I like shiny a little better), but not a newer truck. Besides, if I was going to go to all the trouble, I`d just do it right.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
That is a 20 gal fuel cell. I am pretty sure that as of right now, that cab will end up on my Broncos frame, and leave it as is, with no paint.

I think it's perfect just the way it is!smilieFordlogo

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Its sitting on the frame right now, I sold the axles to a Jeep guy.

Ford Truck Articles