Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

zf5 in a 93

Hey fellas, i have a 93 f150 short bed with a 302. Im building a street/strip truck out of it and was wondering about a zf5 transmission. Im aiming for high 500hp and was wondering how a zf5 would hold up to that kind of power.

Fellro

Staff member
If you want to be able to shift fast, no. If you want to tow heavy, yes. They are not a good racing transmission, but do well under loads.

Oh ok. Honestly i dont know much aboutba zf5, just heard it was a good transmission, didnt know for what tho. What would be a good manual transmission to go with?

Fellro

Staff member
Again, it depends what you want. If you want off the shelf bolt in,. a ZF is the way to go. If you want to be able to grab gears like a sports car, it is not what you want. But then if that is what you want you might want to get a sports car... ;) It depends all in what you want as an end result. A racer it really isn't, but a good stout transmission that is good to tow and such, it is that. I have one in the 88, and it has towed way past rated capacity many times (regularly) and it is still fine,. 2nd gear is a pain on mine due to a bad synchro, but hasn't gotten any worse over the several years of abuse it gets from us. Just have to run it a little to get the trans to loosen up when cold and all is happy. The first few miles is where it is tough when it is cold out. Summer is no issue at all, shifts fine.

Last edited:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Roger is right. These truck CAN go fast, and you have a lot of options on how you want to go about it. You might consider an automatic transmission along with the ZF5. None of them are going to feel like a sports car though.

You'll have to make up with the non-sporty shifting by making modifications to the automatic or just extra horsepower. 500hp is going to feel pretty darn fast.

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
OTOH, plenty of guys are running high-powered 302s in Mustangs...if you're not using the truck as a truck, something from that side of life might suit your needs?

Fellro

Staff member
Which is why I want to get a feel for what his desired outcome is, so I can determine if the ZF fits the bill or not. Simply jumping the power output does not negate its capability, the possible desire to do other than normal expected truck detail could.

Its used as a truck right now, im wanting to build it for the drag strip tho. If i wanted a sports car, i wouldnt be on here posting about my truck, id get a foxbody. The ford lightnings were made for the track :) and they are trucks. Thanks for yalls input about a zf5, its been helpful

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I have a truck I pepped up, not anything nearly I'd call a 'track' truck, and I stuck with the E4OD. That's what the lightnings used.

I was thinking you wanted a sporty manual... and we were just saying the manuals aren't all that sporty.

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member
Yep, exactly what I was getting at. The ZF is a good trans, but if you try shifting it hard and fast, you will likely be breaking the shifter off. Besides, for racing, automatics are much more consistent than a manual. Not that it isn't fun to pull gears, but your shifting ability will determine response times and ET's. Automatics have been proven more consistent than the majority of us gear jammers.

As far as the automatic, that anwsers another question. Id rather a standard, but your right an auto would be better. Another question would be c6 AOD or E40D, which is more durable?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
My understanding is that the E4OD is simply a c6 with overdrive, except electronically controlled.

The AOD is a fully mechanical transmission and will bolt up without requiring computer assistance, just like the c6.

The E4OD would be my pick of the litter, but you probably will want a truck already set up with the wiring and computer rather than trying to piece it all together yourself.

Ryan

Oh ok. Well i like a c6 and, know how durable they are, my only question is with 4.10 gears, would a c6 have enough top end or would i run out of gears to fast being a 3 speed?

Fellro

Staff member

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I didn't look up all the transmissions, but final OD drive gear on the E4OD was 0.71.

That equates to about 2200 rpm's at 65 miles per hour. A little high, not great on gas, but it also won't burn up the engine or anything.

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member
2200 isn't far off of a good street stall. To keep an auto streetable, really don't want to get too much over 2000 stall or you will always have to wind it up to just get it moving.

Ford Truck Articles