Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1992 F150 Voltage Drop

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Didnt get a chance today, something came up. Only thing you use from the 3g setup in there is the green red tracer wire. The rest have to be split out of the harness, and dis guarded. I'll take care of it first thing in the am. I got busy got a chance to get parts for a truck of mine, fresh into the yard, got to get there and grab what I need before everyone else does.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Kaajot

Micro Machine Manager
Didnt get a chance today, something came up. Only thing you use from the 3g setup in there is the green red tracer wire. The rest have to be split out of the harness, and dis guarded. I'll take care of it first thing in the am. I got busy got a chance to get parts for a truck of mine, fresh into the yard, got to get there and grab what I need before everyone else does.

No worries, alternator and 4 serp belts (bought cheapo spares for testing, etc and break-in) won't be here til end of week. :)

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I'll have you hooked up tomorrow

Kaajot

Micro Machine Manager
dLooks like a great write-up there, PrimeTime.

Except that all the photos disappeared? It looks like it would make a lot of sense with those pictures!

-KJ

PS: You're in Onaway, Michigan? I grew up in Cheboygan, MI and went to MSU. We always had jokes about "Chicks from Onaway!" I've got a piece of property out there at Long Lake between Cheboygan and Onaway now.

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
That's what I'm working on for you, but I'll use pictures from my phone, so they wont dissapeared from the site
. Probably tomorrow, towards evening
Thanks primetime
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

primetime

sawmill slave
Oops. Guess I should have checked that.smilieloser. It worked for me 8 or 9 years ago. Where`s the face palm smilie?? Lol

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
All good. He has some things I can incorporate
I also intend to add generator to 3g, 1g to 3g.
I talked to Dunkin about making it a sticky when it's done

Kaajot

Micro Machine Manager
That'll be good, Dusty!

Do you want me to find some "youtube videos" that might be good for a link at the end of your write-up? I've watched a few. I think one or two might be useful, but want to see the write-up first so I'm not handing garbage work in to the Instructor.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
No, I think I have it covered. I have several trucks here, 1 is still 2 g, some are 3 g converts, and I have wiring harness parts to show, plus diagrams saved in the laptop.
Shame Smokey is down, I already wrote the article on another site, he could have just copy pasted it.
All good tho, last time, the pictures from there were huge, and made it hard to navigate

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Didnt have time to put it together today, but this should help tell if you have 2g or 3g
The 2g has a fan, 3g dont
0835e0a3ff7479b524c1be53c563e04f.jpg
2e6f6555cbfa29f8244e8f5aa75a2aac.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
2g and 3 g wiring harness
c26aed9594d8ced387ad8aa807ac07f3.jpg
30ef4666f54f8cf6efc8be41a3e55dba.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I'll get to the write up in a bit, had some things to take care of.
The conversion looks like this
2ea079b0c7b16491308fe15539bccdf0.jpg

There is a fuse for electric fans too. The 175 amp buss fuse is the alternator

14bea32cf8c134f2fdcfa2dacd6ed1d9.jpg
your truck wont require such a large wire, this is a plow truck

Last edited:

Kaajot

Micro Machine Manager
Ok, have new alternator but have not gone to see my truck's alternator. Mechanic says he believes he HAS SEEN a fan on it, therefore I am sitting with a 2G!

Question: Where in the world could I get those wiring connectors? I didn't order from rock auto, thought it was just splicing and the ground point, but after looking at the back of the new alternator I see it has a comm line similar to a (if not exactly like) the ODB1 small plug for testing and then of course there is the larger plug that is not the same as the current larger plug on a 2G.

And do I need to buy a relay? I have a 130 amp alternator, so should I get something like a 150-160 amp (20% bump) for any surges it blows or go for something tighter like a 135 or 140 amp relay? I feel like a 5% variance is too narrow and will be blowing the relay too often, but I could be wrong. Unsure about the performance of a 130 amp, but most engineers normally have a 10% or better buffer in guidelines and ratings, so I'm expecting the variance to be at least 143 amps so a 150 relay fuse is probably the minimum.

Stream of consciousness -- tips and guidelines appreciated! :)

1. Relay size minimums based on 130 amp alternator?

2. Where to get new pigtails for wiring harness adaption (splices) to mate up proper in the 3G alternator.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I will give you everything on ebay you need to buy, give me a minute, I had to run an emergency.
I also have to tell you what to cut out, and what to save on the 2g.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Not able to post pictures from my laptop, for whatever reason, so I'll try to be as discrpiptive as possable

1. Unhook battery
2. remove the fusable link from the solenoid for the alternator.
best way to find this, start at the aalternator, and untape, un harness the wires back to the fender. becauctious of the red/green wire, we are going to reuse this

3.at this time remove the alternator and plugs. keep the red/green. othes can be discarded

Build your wires from the 2ag. 1 from hot side solenoid to top of buss fuse, 1 from bottom of buss fuse to alternator. leave some slack, make sure to not pinch or bind them. solder the ends, and heat shrink. I didn't put heat shrink on your list, you can get that local

dustybumpers

don't play well w others

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I can take some pictures of the trucks and connections if you need them tomorrow.

Funny thing, I went back and looked at my 92 flareside project truck, it's 3g.
the 93 flareside sitting next to it that was my son's is 3g.
My 94, the 94 Cantorian, and my 95 Eddie Bauer are all 3g.
You must have ended up with a "parts leftover " truck.
post the build date off the door please, this one has me stumped1

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Took a picture from the laptop
27859c2fd34fdf6e29c23ff04f937bc2.jpg

Ford Truck Articles