Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Special Interest > Trailers, Towing and RV's

Trailers, Towing and RV's If you can pull it, discuss it here.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:27 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Rotten eggs in water tank?

I winterized our fifth wheel last week and in the process of pouring antifreeze into the water tank, I got a really strong H2S smell(rotten eggs) coming out of the fill spout for the water tank. After dumping the antifreeze into the tank and recirculating the antifreeze through the faucets, I got the same smell when I opened the faucets to the bathtub. The water tank had been completely drained after the last use, and so were the gray and black water tanks.

I had never had this problem with my previous camper. Any thoughts? Would a weak solution of bleach solve this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2016, 10:25 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
asked the rents since they use to have a camper if they ever had the problem.. stated they never did.. but wanted to know if you were using RV antifreeze or car antifreeze as they are different... im assuming your using RV but wasnt 100% sure... they said if your going to try flushing it with bleach to write the mfg of what you were using first incase there could be any adverse reactions.. or flush the system real well (they suggested 3 or 4 times) before trying with the bleach... then do the same again before loading it up with the antifreeze again...

they did state theirs had a smell to it but wasnt a rotten egg smell.. so they werent sure what could have caused it... writing the mfg could get some clues there too.. they may know what could have reacted to it...

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

"I never FAIL... I succeed at finding what doesn't work."
-Christopher Titus
Old 10-11-2016, 10:31 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the info, Shawn. Yes, I use RV antifreeze.

Quote:
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Old 10-11-2016, 10:33 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
no problem... hope you get it figured out...

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

"I never FAIL... I succeed at finding what doesn't work."
-Christopher Titus
Old 10-12-2016, 03:24 AM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
I've heard people talk about a sulfur smell in well water and something about a bacteria (sulfate bacteria maybe?) that causes it. Not sure how to treat it but treating a tank and a very small water system sounds much easier than trying to get the bacteria out of a well (assuming that's the cause). Maybe call an RV dealer and run the bleach idea past them(?).

-Life is far too short to be serious all the time. So if you can't stop and laugh at yourself along the way, give me a call and I'll do it for you.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp
Old 10-12-2016, 06:28 AM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
You have bacteria in the holding tank.
Add bleach and fill the holding tank and run all the taps till you can smell chlorine and close the taps and let it sit a few hours and flush the system.

Some people add a little vinegar to the holding tanks it keeps the tanks fresh smelling and changes the pH of the water to retard bacteria growth.
Randy
Old 10-12-2016, 07:24 AM
Tonto Papadapolous

Thank you, both. I will try that. The term is SRB(Sulfate Reducing Bacteria) which is an anaerobic bacteria. It thrives in oxygen deficient environments. Apparently the tank on this camper does not drain completely when you open the drain.

WE need a gross bacteria smilie.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-12-2016, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
....an anaerobic bacteria. It thrives in oxygen deficient environments......
The type of bacteria found in every properly functioning septic tank, how nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
WE need a gross bacteria smilie.
Hey you, after my request from a few weeks ago for the waffle with the circle and slash (ie, no waffling) is done!!!!

-Life is far too short to be serious all the time. So if you can't stop and laugh at yourself along the way, give me a call and I'll do it for you.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp
Old 10-12-2016, 06:01 PM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
Glad to be of assistance on the holding tank.

I will add some of the smilies soon. Just been swapped with work. After 12 hours repairing computers a day I just haven't got around to putting upntje smiles.
Randy
Old 11-14-2016, 06:18 PM
Oilfield Trash

mrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond reputemrxlh has a reputation beyond repute
One other thing it could be as well is the water heater anode. They typically need to be replaced once a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFXDLI View Post
Had to look that up, never really cared for that type of music.

Lester

08 F350 PSD Lariet, CC, LWB, 4X4, DRW, White
Stock

When Dodge and GM build something that will compete with the F450, we'll talk.