Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Special Interest > Trailers, Towing and RV's

Trailers, Towing and RV's If you can pull it, discuss it here.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:23 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
1988 Bluebird Wanderlodge

Figured now that all the waffling is over and the purchase made that I would start a thread here.

I picked up this RV last August from Northern British Columbia near the coast.

That person was the third owner, my understanding is the first owner was involved with the Family Motor Coach Association and put the bulk of the miles on. The second owner had it for perhaps 10 years and didn't put many miles on it and the fellow that I bought it from had it for 5 years and put maybe 15k miles on it.

The odometer hangs up intermittently, so by going off the hour meter at an average of 40 mph, there is roughly 275k miles on the RV.

Bluebird built these machines in Fort Valley Georgia on the "All American Chassis"...it is rollover rated. I've seen a few pics of these 'Birds on their sides and damage is minimal, from what I can gather, there has only been one fatallity since they were introduced in 1963.

It is a heavy SOB, with nearly full fuel and just me and a buddy in it, it was just under 41,000 lbs...easily have over 6000lbs of carrying capacity.

There is some other info/repairs in the original thread where I was looking at buying an RV...http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/for...ad.php?t=34476

Some specs on it:

Length....40'
Width...8' 6''
Fuel...300 gallons
Fresh Water...116 gallons
Grey tank...100 gallons
Black tank...100 gallons
Propane...148 pounds.
736CID Detroit 8V92TA...475HP/1425TQ
Allison HT748 Automatic
GVWR...47400 lbs
Generator...12.5kw diesel
4 roof A/C (13.5kbtu) and 1 chassis A/C (18kbtu)
2 furnaces, 30kbtu and 16 kbtu
3 hot water coolant heaters in living area (50kbtu each)
1 hot water coolant heater in bathroom (15kbtu)
Drivers area heater (90kbtu)
10 gallon HWT electric that also is heated by coolant from engine
6-6volt deep cycle batteries for house and starting
Generator has it's own battery with a low voltage cutoff so that battery can start it.
Auto/manual levellers...rated 48,000 lb each for rear (2) and 32,000lb for front (2)
315/80 rubber
22.5/9 polished rims, stud pilot
Air brakes
Air ride, 10 air bags
10,000lb hitch
2000 watt true sine wave inverter
Electric drapes
New in 1988, it was around $375,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNomad View Post
I need your full mailing address, so I can fedex you a wet fart.

Last edited by DNFXDLI; 06-18-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2016, 06:28 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
Last little while has been going through things and making a list of items to fix or improve upon, given that it is almost 30 years old, there are a few things.

Right now while investigating reverse lights that don't work, I came upon a cut wire and then found the generator coolant lines to be, well...pretty pooched
Quote:
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:

Old 04-05-2016, 06:53 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

All the electrical is run off relays.

Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-05-2016, 07:01 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

Ran all 4 A/C units on the weekend and most interior lights:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-05-2016, 07:07 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

The bay doors have a ball/socket joint and a gas strut...as I found out the hard way, they are fairly heavy without the strut assist.

One of the ball/socket joints failed last Fall and then I found another that was about to come apart, so they were changed:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-05-2016, 07:14 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

The broken wire...which means the whole cooling fan for the generator has to come out to access it...but now that I found the coolant lines pooched, it has to be done.
More relays above the cooling fan.
Seems the ATEC (Allison Transmission Electronic Control) is to the right of the cooling fan, so the reverse light situation will be looked at as well.

Coolant line crushed and very crunchy:

Broken wire:

More relays and connections:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-05-2016, 08:16 PM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
Wow that is a pile of relays. Hope you have a good wiring diagrams for that.
Randy
Old 04-05-2016, 08:33 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
Wow that is a pile of relays. Hope you have a good wiring diagrams for that.
It is Randy...and I have all the engineering prints and owners manual...which should cover about 90%+ of the wiring.

Discovering where they are all located has proven interesting though...
Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-05-2016, 08:42 PM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
I can imagine. Working on my Dad's school bus's with the blue bird bodies they have a pile of relays stuffed everywhere. The build quality is amazing on the blue birds.
Randy
Old 04-05-2016, 09:02 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

The build amazes me...14 gauge sheet metal for the skin.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by DNFXDLI; 08-11-2016 at 09:51 PM.