Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Engines > 351M, 400

Old 06-16-2014, 05:40 PM
The Token Canadian

Admin

DNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond reputeDNFXDLI has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTfball68 View Post
I think $200 for a M/C6 is an OK price. I've bought and sold 351M's from free to $100 and C6's from $25-$150. Not knowing the condition would make them cores to me, and I'd probably top out at about $150, at that price, you can get a good chunk of your change back at the scrapper. It really depends on what your budget is...it's not overly expensive to get these engines to the 300hp/400tq level, which is more than enough for 95% of applications. My favorite cams to run in these engines are from the DEH (255 and 265) and XE (256 and 262) line ups from Comp. Get the whole kit (cam, double roller timing set, springs, locks, etc), get a set of iron Aussies ($400 bare), carb, intake, headers...and you'll be good to go. TMI has 400 cranks for $295...but if I were to go that far in, I'd go new pistons too...hypertectics for more mild builds, but the KB flat tops (TMI offers) are pretty sweet too (but with the aussies and flat tops, and all else being relatively mild, probably too much compression for street use and anything less than 93 octane).
Remember that the closed chamber heads allow you to run a higher CR without problems..even with regular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
I prefer to call it a passion, rather than a problem. That way it is self-justified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNomad View Post
I need your full mailing address, so I can fedex you a wet fart.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2014, 07:25 PM

Ridgerunner has a reputation beyond reputeRidgerunner has a reputation beyond reputeRidgerunner has a reputation beyond reputeRidgerunner has a reputation beyond reputeRidgerunner has a reputation beyond reputeRidgerunner has a reputation beyond reputeRidgerunner has a reputation beyond reputeRidgerunner has a reputation beyond reputeRidgerunner has a reputation beyond reputeRidgerunner has a reputation beyond reputeRidgerunner has a reputation beyond repute
Ok Thanks he might not have it by the time I get there.

1998 Ford Expedition 4X4

2000 Mustang Drop Top
Old 06-16-2014, 09:57 PM
sawmill slave

primetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond repute
Not picking on the M`s, but I think for a t-bucket, you will be a lot better off with a 302. Main reasons be installation, engine mounts are unique to M/400`s. Headers are another if you want the cool t-bucket style. It`s been awhile since I oggled Speedways t-bucket catolog, but I think headers for a 302 were $150. Cleveland headers will fit an M, but will sit higher up and out on an M.

As mentioned, a 335 won`t be much more than a few hundred bucks more expensive than a 302 to build in the long run. But lets keep in mind. T-buckets don`t weigh shat, about 2300-2500 lbs if I remember right. A half wore out 302 will shove them around nicely. Find a nice running 302 out of an Explorer, or truck, dress it up with a four barrel and headers, and just cruise it. For cheap. And have lots o fun.

Justin

With a little luck and a greenback dollar you gonna see me shine.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:28 PM

bucknaked is on a distinguished road
351M versus the world

First time poster here, and was happy to see a few postings on the 351M. I have a 1977 F-250 Ranger XLT, factory Highboy or Highrider which ever you prefer. I like most of you continue to pour money into this truck but I love it, figureatively speaking. The original 351M that was in the truck was beyond rebuilding same for the C-6 tranny, interior shot but the body was pristine.

I found what I thought was a screaming deal on a 78 351M that came out of a bronco. It belonged to an Air Force guy stationed at Beal AFB. It is believed that the motor was rmfg. by Gearheads. Anyway after aprox. 17K miles the AF guy totaled the Bronco. So I came across it and bit. My mech. compression tested it at an average of 165 lbs. 24 lbs of vaccume. It had an RV cam and is gear driven and has Hedman headers. Had the C6 rebuilt too. It ran like a champ but the gear drive can be a bit annoying, but although a bit under powered for a truck with an unladen weight of 5120 lbs it got around fine.

I have put less than 3000 miles since the swap and while traveling home a week ago from a 90 mile round trip with steep grades, etc. (I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mtns.) I noticed a lack of power more than normal. It was at night and on a state highway but about 12 miles from my home I noticed it missing and some smoke coming from the exhaust.

Limped home and the next day I pulled the plugs which all seemed to be gas/oil soaked. I dropped the oil and found no metals changed the plugs and it ran like it was ready to explode with all the smoke coming from the right bank and none on the left. Note: no sign of water in oil either. It will barely if not at all idle but seems to smooth out some when accelerated.

I took a video of this and sent to my mach. He has not been able to break loose to check it out in person yet but is not hopeful for this motor based on the video.

Finally, we come to my question. Do I attempt to rebuild this motor, by a crate 351M or 400M. What changes would I have to make to install something other than a 351M> Such as motor mounts, bell housing, etc.

I have read many articles debating which Ford motor is the best. 351C, 351M or 400. They all seem to differ but all pretty much agree that the M is under powered. I am looking forward to getting some help from others that have similar experience. Buck