Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Engines > 351M, 400

Old 06-02-2013, 07:28 PM

respecttheford is on a distinguished road
Idle trouble

Hello all,I would like to thank you for all the past info I have gotten from the posts I have read.
I have recently picked up a 1987 F350 the originally had the 460 in it. Somewhere all the line someone put a 1977 351M which it has in it now. It has the 2 barrel manifold and the carb was in really bad shape so I found a rebuilt motorcraft 2150 and put it on to get it up and running. My problem is when I put the truck into gear(auto trans) it will not even begin to try to hold idle. It dies as if I turned the key off. If I slide it into drive and quickly feather the gas pedal I can get it to run down the road but no matter where I set the time I have the same problem in drive and reverse. It does have a rod coming up from from under the firewall next to throttle cable that looks like it should connect to the carb but I see no place to hook it up. I am not sure where to start first with my problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2013, 08:36 AM
Rooster Snorkler

jebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud of
Ive had this problem before, mine was a vac leak and the motor just would not idle in gear. Try the starter fluid trick to see if you can locate one. I would reset your timing too with a light.

Sent from my mudwhistle via lemmiwinks.

2008 f-150 crew cab

2005 f-350 Crew Cab Long Box diesel - for sale. Check out my classified post!
Old 06-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
That would be my suggestion too... Vacuum leak.

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 06-08-2013, 12:28 PM

respecttheford is on a distinguished road
I will give it a try. I will hope for that.One of the locals in my area said something about the tranny plates not having enough slippage to let the motor idle while in drive or reverse. Sounded bad. Thanks for the input
Old 06-09-2013, 10:40 PM

blkmesamtman is on a distinguished road
Just a thought. When the 460 was pulled and the 351 installed, did they use the torque convertor from the 460? The reason I'm asking is because years ago I put a Turbo 400 from a 455 Buick engine behind a 231 Buick V6 and had the same problem. It would not idle in gear, but the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift would chip the tires, even at 60mph going into 3rd. I had to get a TC from a Turbo 350 to make things work properly.
So it may be your TC stall speed is not matched to your vehicle.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Rooster Snorkler

jebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud ofjebadiah04 has much to be proud of
Shouldnt matter on tc.

Im still betting vac leak/timing too advanced

Sent from my mudwhistle via lemmiwinks.

2008 f-150 crew cab

2005 f-350 Crew Cab Long Box diesel - for sale. Check out my classified post!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:58 PM

roughneck is on a distinguished road
1.Did it run prior to you replacing the carb?
2.Did it have the problem prior to you replacing the carb?
3. Rod coming from your fire wall sounds to be your linkage to passing gear.
4. How is your PVC system hooked? Did you place it at ported or manifold vacume?