Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Engines > 351M, 400

Old 06-19-2013, 10:19 AM

amkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond repute
wouldn't straight up timing cause the knocking and pinging?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2013, 11:16 AM
Texas Chapter member

dragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond reputedragogt has a reputation beyond repute
These engines came retarded from the factory, and the timing set helps wake it up..

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflfreak43 View Post
wjhat thee t**** man why you selllinh i kanat beleieve yyeou let tus talkak you ittno the ef 6 00 project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F 150Cobra View Post
you are more confused than a chameleon in a box of skittles
'97 F250 LD 5.4 Auto

'91 Ranger XLT under who knows what construction.

'86 Ranger XL under who knows what construction.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:21 PM

amkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond repute
why didn't the factory do straight up timing, sorry for all the questions, I've been playing with the timing and carb settings for a while,

thanks
Old 06-19-2013, 02:29 PM
OP of 1st PWT

5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute
The 351M and 400 were brought out to be emissions compliant and the retarded timing was to help reduce emissions..

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

Old 06-19-2013, 02:32 PM

ahh, thanks Chris
Old 06-19-2013, 03:42 PM

m78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond repute
This sounds like something I should do.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, look at the horsepower ratings between 1970-1971 and 1975?-1979. There is a substantial decrease in horsepower.

My 1979 w/351M was rated at 137 horsepower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 06-19-2013, 03:48 PM

m78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like just the difference of when the valves open and close.
My 400 seems to wind up some what quick but tops out or runs out of breath.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

LEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond repute
Late to the party Doug...but yes, it is just that simple. Like replacing any other timing set, except you have the super-dee-duper technical task of lining up the notch with a dot on the crank to the corresponding notch/dot on the cam. If you've never swapped a timing set before, the old set usually needs some persuasion to come off...I just use pry bars against the block. Then sliding them on can get a bit frustrating if the gear and sprocket aren't aligned just right...then it won't want to slide on the crank snout and/or bolt up to the cam.

IMO...the only way to go are Cloyes double rollers. A little pricier, but I always end up ditching whatever 'I just threw on' later. I do have a few spare Comp double roller sets that came with cam kits, I'd like to try...but haven't needed to with Cloyes units installed/reused.

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Standing by my gun and Bible since 1986.

Ben
Old 06-27-2013, 01:14 AM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks, Ben. Is there enough room for the double roller chain without rubbing on the cover?

Also, did you have to do drop the oil pan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!