Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Engines > 351M, 400

Old 06-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Straight-up timing set for a 400

This has probably been asked several times before, but...............

I would like to replace the timing set on my '78 400 to straight up timing.

What is involved(in layman's terms) other than replacing the timing chain and gear? Do I need to recurve the distributor?

I haven't done this before, but would like to try it. The engine is rebuilt with about 25,000 miles. I should have had this done when the engine was rebuilt,
but at the time, I didn't know about this process.

If you can just reference a previous post listing the steps, that would work, too. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Gonna bump this one to see if I can get some much needed professional advice(except the people that advise dumping it for a 460 - )

Quote:
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Old 06-05-2013, 12:45 PM
OP of 1st PWT

5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute5.0Flareside has a reputation beyond repute
Dump it for a Windsor??? Hey you only said 460.. Lol

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power

Old 06-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0Flareside View Post
Dump it for a Windsor??? Hey you only said 460.. Lol

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Ford Power
I should have been more explicit!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Flatheads Forever

mtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond reputemtflat has a reputation beyond repute
I've never heard that it is necessary to re-set the timing. I think it would have come to light before now.

I haven't done it - but have a timing gear and assorted goodies for the 400 in the shop. It's on my list of to-do's....and I'm a fan of keeping the 400 : )

With the dist up front I think you could adjust it as req'd by turning the body. Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

Thanks Tim. What I'm looking for is a procedure to replace the original timing set with a timing set that changes the mounting from 4 deg retarded to 0 deg. The ones I have seen have three keyways. I've never done this before and I am basically clueless.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY

BuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond repute
Doug for straight up timing you will line up the gears as shown below...

Now the crank gear has the 3 notches as you indicated..you will use the notch that has the dot..line this dot up with the cam gear in the position ive shown...that is straight up timing..

Old 06-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

That's perfect, Bob. Thank you very much!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY

BuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzGun79 has a reputation beyond repute
Anytime Doug!!
Old 06-05-2013, 11:45 PM

amkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond reputeamkatt1 has a reputation beyond repute
will you have to run higher octane gas?