Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ecoboost with a stick?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Dad and I did a Ride-and-Drive with the local Ford dealership up at the high school this weekend.

Our "chaperone" was the Parts Manager, and he and I got talking a little.

He swore up and down that now that they're discontinuing the Ranger, there's going to be the option of a manual gearbox in the half-tons again- with four-wheel drive, and the EcoBoost engine.

Honestly- I'll believe it when I see it, but can anyone confirm or deny this?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I can confirm that you will buy one. :D

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I can confirm that you will buy one. :D

Ryan

Not real likely...but I won't say I wouldn't.

Hell- I'd be halfway tempted to buy one just to "vote with my wallet" in favor of their decision to offer it.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
I think this would be a great idea for ford. It's not likely going to be a big thing found on lots everywhere, but there may be a few found on lots and maybe a few more in bigger cities. I think it would be a special order kinda thing.

I can't confirm it though. I do think it is a good idea on fords part.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I wonder what the service costs are for manual transmissions vs. automatic. There has got to be some safety for the dealerships with autos because they can program it to do exactly what they want to 'allow'.

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Flip side is that the warranty on my clutch expired at 12,000 miles- maybe the gearbox, too- I can't remember.

If the truck had an auto, the trans would be covered under the 60k powertrain warranty.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'd probably trade in my truck for one. I miss driving a stick in a bad way. But I honestly don't think they'll do it.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Can I confirm it? Nope. What I will say is that the base model work truck will most likely see the ax with its current v6 for the EcoBoost option... in which the manual tranny may come to lite.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Remember something guys. It costs millions to get every single engine/transmission combination through all the EFA/CAFE hurdles. To justify that, there has to be a reasonable sales volume to amortize the R&D.

To further complicate matters, manuals are harder to control for emissions, and generally get the same or lower mileage in the CAFE tests. Add in to that the miniscule sales volume that manuals generate, and it's easy to see why they're a vanishing breed.

we got a newer (2010, I believe), F350 gasser at work, it's got the manual mode tranny, do the F150's have this too? maybe that's what he meant...

I can see it all now when the truck goes in for a clutch replacement at 10k miles. The owner says, "Oh I just drive it normal. No speed shifting or drag racing." Yeah right!

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Clutch $400 to $800 (less if I do it . ) Auto $2000 and up . Lets see Hummmmmmmm!!!! I have never redid a manual trans that did not have over 150000 miles .

Maybe they actually get the MPG claimed by Ford for the truck . About 3 MPG off sticker on average here. I know allot of guys ( 6 coworkers alone) mad that their $40000 F150 4x4 truck cant break int to 20 MPG .

As for MPG averages . We keep close records of 20 trucks and the manuals beat like equipped auto every time. 1 hill and auto is in passing manual will pull it.

primetime

sawmill slave
If it happens I`ll be shocked. Especially when you take into account the fact that the majority of the buying public has no clue on how to operate one.
When you factor in the cost to certify, plus the fact that only something like 1% of of buyers (I think that was the figure I saw, not sure), want one, I don`t see it happening. It would be sweet though.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
I wonder what the service costs are for manual transmissions vs. automatic. There has got to be some safety for the dealerships with autos because they can program it to do exactly what they want to 'allow'.

Ryan

Over 30 years of fleet repiars very few trans issues . But you could swap a clutch for under $1000 and a auto trans is $3000

Ford Truck Articles