Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Rebuilt carb...help.

Rebuilt carb yesterday put it on today and the truck started right up but idled fast. shut it off (only ran for a few seconds) made a couple adjustments and tried again this time it was rough but the idle was lower. I get out and go around the front of the truck and see gas pouring out of four different spots! Arrows in pic show where, Its just above the float bowl area. Any idea's on where to start? Its a 2v motor craft 2100 series. Thanks, Kyle.

4172040159_ba0cafc9b1.jpg

After thinking about this all I can think of is the mixture screws are letting in to much fuel and filling the float chamber till it overflows. I'm done with it for today, I have a headache from the fumes.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
The float is either sticking or bent a little causing the needle and seat to flow fuel all the time. Or the needle is sticking in the seat.

I concur.. Float is stuck down.
possibly filled with fuel/

Took the top of carb back off and the float was up. It wasn't holding any fluid when I took it apart, and didn't see any cracks or anything.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
How did the float seat look? It sounds like the float is not moving the seat to the closed position for whatever reason. Is there something underneath the seat, or is the rubber tip at the end of the seat in bad shape?

How did the float seat look? It sounds like the float is not moving the seat to the closed position for whatever reason. Is there something underneath the seat, or is the rubber tip at the end of the seat in bad shape?

The rebuild kit came with a new clip for the float and a new needle and seat. Followed the directions for setting the float dry(bench).

Took carb back off the truck today and double checked everything. The clip that holds the float on the rod was not holding in the notch on the side of the seat to keep it in place. Put the old one back on and it clipped in nice and tight. Put it back on the truck and she started right up. It was defiantly worth the rebuild, She is purring now(a little fast have some fine tuning to do).

Its been a long time since I've had/rebuilt a carb. The last was a 77 J-10 back in 88-89(Feelin a little old)

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Glad you found the issue. The one thing that I have found with carbs is, if you don't tinker with them that often, you think you've lost your touch. Then it all comes back to you. :D

Ford Truck Articles