Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

block heater . enough to start w/o glow plugs?

So my neighbor saw me messing with the ol oil burner and was asking about my.truck
I told him the troubles I was having and he suggested to me to not.bother with the plugs and just use the block.heater...now I know this is not always convenient. But is a block.heater enough to.warm the.motor.up. without glowplug fo starting?

Fellro

Staff member
Depends on the condition of the motor. On my 86, it typically wanted glow plugs every cold start, but never tried using the block heater in the summer. It might help. can't really say. I know some people claim that they don't need glow plugs with the heater, just know that mine still would start hard at 70 degrees, if I didn't cycle the glow plugs.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
I would say it would depend on the outside temp, during the warmer weather it would probably work but I think you would have troubles when its cold.

Depends on the condition of the motor. On my 86, it typically wanted glow plugs every cold start, but never tried using the block heater in the summer. It might help. can't really say. I know some people claim that they don't need glow plugs with the heater, just know that mine still would start hard at 70 degrees, if I didn't cycle the glow plugs.
Well I got the old one working, just needed an AC chord..going to try it today...conducting an experiemnet of sorts..funny how I found a good chord on my 98 F150 all tied up on the frame...Canada built truck??? I agree even if it worked, I wouldnt want the hassle, more of an aid on those really hard start morns...makes sense

I would say it would depend on the outside temp, during the warmer weather it would probably work but I think you would have troubles when its cold.
I agree, have it plugged in on this warm day, going to see if I can get here to start

Gave it a shot today... low 70's in the sun. Apx 21/4 hrs on the. Block heater.had to jump it to get some speed. Running one batt. But it fired up after a little cranking.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Check out db-starter-alternater.com for a mini torque starter. Or even a factory but I prefer the mini torque, my truck wings over like a powerstroke. Sorry, your post made me think of that.

Ford Truck Articles