Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

steering column creak

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
My 'Sploder is a limited 4x2, and the column is as you say.
I put the grease in from the inside with my finger, pushing it in as you would if you were packing a bearing.
I used dielectric grease, because it is waterproof.

Another question.......do you happen to have a thick sound insulation blanket on your firewall that just so happens to go around the steering shaft, and somehow you managed to get your finger in between the steering shaft and that blanket, and with a blob of grease on it and jammed it into that joint and did so a handful of times? My finger size is about average, and there isn't really any room to conveniently reach in there, and I would have to reach down in there a ways to get to the point of application, and to slobber the grease in there won't be easy nor clean.

*This product may be in my future, depending on what you did. I just knew that it had to be out there :) :

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...ap?ck=Search_N0941_-1_2924&pt=N0941&ppt=C0139

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Well......................

I found this is really easy despite not being able to get your fingers in there. Simply spray some quality brand lube in there (stuff I used has teflon in it), wipe off any excess, follow up with a few shots of spray grease that comes in a can, wipe if needed, and be done. This will all happen so fast, you won't even be able to finish the beer you just cracked open. :D

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Yes to the blanket, yes to just shove it in.
Hmmmm. I like the spray idea better.....

Ford Truck Articles