Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Oil Pressure Gauge

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Where does one hook up the line for an oil pressure gauge?

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Where the oil sending unit goes. On my 302 it is on the left side of the block near the oil filter.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
From what I just read on the 351m the sending unit is on the block in the back by the firewall.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
That's what I thought, but the fitting I had didn't... fit!

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Just have to get a fitting that matches the threads for sending unit. I ran into same problem with a Dodge I had. Took awhile to find one. autometer couldn't even help me out and it was there gauge LOL but I figured it out and relayed the info back to them so they could help future customers.

gsxr1238

Be fast.....or be last.
The opening in the block is 1/4" pipe thread.Then you have to decide whether or not you still want to run the sending unit for your dash gauge.You will have to plumb a tee fitting in if you want that option.

Last edited:
I would run a Tee for both gauges

I would also leave the mechanical gauge in the engine compartment for referral purposes.

One doesn't need oil spewing into the cab

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
I would run a Tee for both gauges

I would also leave the mechanical gauge in the engine compartment for referral purposes.

One doesn't need oil spewing into the cab

I'm still not seeing where one would hook up said gauge for one's oil to be in one's cab. :D

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
If it is a mechanical gauge oil runs through the tube right to the gauge from the engine. In my old Dodge I had mechanical and you could see the oil run into the tube in the cab at startup. In my 73 I chose to go electrical.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
If it is mechanical do what Dennis said and keep it in the engine compartment.
I had a capilary tube rub into and spray out all over the floor,seat and me. Who would think a fine tube that size could spay out so much oil.

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
If it is mechanical do what Dennis said and keep it in the engine compartment.
I had a capilary tube rub into and spray out all over the floor,seat and me. Who would think a fine tube that size could spay out so much oil.

Sounds like fun! It is a mechanical, so it will most likely live in the engine compartment somewhere...

gsxr1238

Be fast.....or be last.
Engine compartment is a good place to keep it as long as you are not trying to keep an eye on engine vitals.You can purchase a 4' long -3 stainless line from Earls for $21.00,and never have to worry about the line rupturing,splitting,etc.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I have a mechanical gauge in my '79. I preffered the full sweep face of the mechanical gauge. I threw the plastic hose crap that came with the gauge away and ran a braided hose instead. No problems in the last 9 years.

Fellro

Staff member
You can also get a copper line to do away with the plastic, but the stainless sounds like a better option to me. I have also had an oil line come loose in an old Nova I had, soaked my leg with hot oil , as well as the carpet...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
These guys are on point...and that's why I usually try to run electrical gauges, so I can keep an eye on the vitals, but not have to worry potential spewage. FWIW, the SU is almost dead center back middle of the top of the block behind the intake. IT's an SOB to get to if everything is still hooked up. But if you have a thin stubby you can get underneath it or I prefer to use a vice grip clamped to the body of the Su and go at it.

VacuumTree-1.jpg

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I put a baker scaffold over the front of my truck and was able to lay on it to access the engine compartment and put a Tee in the sending unit port

I didn't find that actually getting a hand on it was a problem as much as getting more than 1/16 of a turn from the wrench. Which is why I advocate the vice grips, once you get it to break loose, re-grip from the top.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts