Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Speedometer/Electrical problem

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Hopped in the truck and started driving. I noticed it shifting hard. I then looked at my speedometer to find it sitting at 0 mph, and a mileage guage that was lit up, but had no numbers. I also happened to notice on my way out of the truck that the dome light didn't come on when the door was in the open position.

My guess is a fuse blew, but it was too dark to check. I can smoothly get to gears by shifting it up manually. Is this safe to drive assuming I can't fix it with a new fuse in my glove box?

Ryan

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
My first instinct tells me bad PSOM. Might also try the VSS but I don't believe a bad VSS is going to blank your ODO nor make the speedo sit at 0.

Check your fuses first then move onto said possibilities. To check your PSOM you'll probably just need to swap in a good PSOM from a junker and see what happens. Also remember that the PSOM is the module that holds your odometer information, so if you end up needing to swap you'll have to live with a different mileage on the odometer or have Ford reprogram one.

One thing that a guy did on FTE was he got 2 used PSOMs, took note of his original mileage on the bad one, say 150k, then took note of one of the greater mileage PSOMs, say 200k, then used the third PSOM to drive the truck with the WRONG mileage for 50k miles then swapped in the 200k PSOM. Badda bing, correct mileage and a good PSOM :D

EDIT: Just occured to me that the VSS has NOTHING to do with the odometer so it's definitely not the VSS. I'd pursue the PSOM unless someone else has a better suggestion.

Last edited:
... he got 2 used PSOMs, took note of his original mileage on the bad one, say 150k, then took note of one of the greater mileage PSOMs, say 200k, then used the third PSOM to drive the truck with the WRONG mileage for 50k miles then swapped in the 200k PSOM. Badda bing, correct mileage and a good PSOM :D
Good thing to do if you EVER plan on selling your truck, lol... buy a used PSOM from the wreckers on a lo-mi truck, then swap it when you wanna sell the truck. TELL ME THEY DON'T DO THIS!

Gem gem gem gem Gem dadamngem gem...

They told me the same thing a few weeks ago when my 4X4 screwed up. :headbang:

check fuses, pull codes, and unhook the battery for a while.

No clue why, but it fixed mine (unhooking the battery I mean). [confused]

Good thing to do if you EVER plan on selling your truck, lol... buy a used PSOM from the wreckers on a lo-mi truck, then swap it when you wanna sell the truck. TELL ME THEY DON'T DO THIS!

and if you ever get caught...jail time.

Only if it has been in an accident and it is not the original owner. The original "title" will show whatever miles it had when new.

Not that is matters, but AR stops recording miles after 100,000. A truck could have half a million and no way to prove it. I had a friend with a 94 dodge 3/4 ton that had over 400,000 when he sold it. No way to prove that.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
When I checked my carfax report before buying my truck there were regular intervals when the mileage was checked... I believe most of them were when the car got smogged or inspected. Maybe this only applies to CA vehicles.

and if you ever get caught...jail time.
They'd have to prove malice of forthought... and I know for a fact it happens all the time. No carfax is gonna catch it, because the carfax runs on YOUR VIN, and not a scan of your electronics.

I do believe that day is coming however...

Just for you Sin Looser peeps. The rest of us have to plod along in the dark ages with alterable safetee inspections

Not to mention, the inspections only take place every 2 years... just plop in the spare for every visit... Kinda like being real good on taking your meds for a few days before your next doctor visit.... or Chris stopping his a month before his next pee test...

By the way, I neither practice nor condone this behavior, so I have absolutely no idea why I even brought it up...

Tom: There is a guy in New Jersey with a heavily modified ranger. It is a v8, lifted, etc. Every 2 years, he pulls the V8 (and other illegal items) and drops the 6 banger back in it for inspections.

Then after the inspection, he swaps everything back in.

I don't pretend to understand the laws up there, but apparently, he can only run whatever engine size (and smog junk) it came with from the factory.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I have never EVER been under the influence of drugs nor alcohol thank you very much. I'm as straight edge as they come. My friends think I'm crazy :rotz: [confused]

Ford Truck Articles