Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

302 tranny

Found 302 out of 83 mustang but no tranny going into my 51 pickup. after minimal research it seems tranny for that year was nothing spectacular. Any suggestions appreciated. Prefer to go with automatic. I have a c4 from 68 fairlane but bell housing does not match up. Is it possible to swap bell housing and use the C4?
Thanks

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
You have an imbalance issue there - 68 was a 28oz imbalance and 83 would have been the 50 oz imbalance. (Changed in 81/82)

There was also an issue with flywheel/flexplate diameters. 164 tooth vs 154 tooth(??) Also measureable at approx 14" vs. 13" diameter.

You need to make sure the pieces all fit and that you have the right imbalance weight. You should be able to buy or find parts easy enough.

There were some 5 bolt bellhousings on 289s but I thot they were done before 68 302's

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
If you want to thrash your truck, it probably won't hold up. They're known for being a light-weight. I have an 86/302 EFI and the trans has been overhauled twice in 350,000 miles....however I work it hard, careful, but hard. That's the best I can tell you. The engine has been replaced twice also.

Personally I like them....but 2nd to 3rd does have a long space between 'em.

I prefer a ZF5 - bulletproof and split much better, but I don't know if it will fit behind a small block ...

Last edited:
ZF5 came out in some F250s with the 351

Ford Truck Articles