Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

easiest way to install engine? with tranny attached or not??

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
which one is the easiest? remove trany from under the truck... attach it to the engine and install it

or leave the trany down there and then when installing the engine set it up to the trany ?

5.0 - m5od

the engine jack i have can hold 3 tons so thats not a prob

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
i think the best bet would leave it under the truck where you have it but if you can move it back a few inches to give you more more to move the engine around

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
separate . truck is high enought without lifting to clear trans on way out

Fellro

Staff member
I personally prefer to have the trans in place and bring the motor to it. Trying to get the trans to clear through the frame and back up into place is more headache to me. Only way I would consider going in together, and have done sometimes, is to have the front clip off, or at least the rad support, so you can come in more flat.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I personally prefer to have the trans in place and bring the motor to it. Trying to get the trans to clear through the frame and back up into place is more headache to me. Only way I would consider going in together, and have done sometimes, is to have the front clip off, or at least the rad support, so you can come in more flat.

x2 to a TEE.....it's real easy if there's no body on it!smilieFordlogo

FTF'er
I prefer to take em out and put em in still connected. I have no helpers to help me lift the transmission into place and my scrawny ass can't do it by myself.

FTF'er
Ya dude, it sucks being scrawny. It's like if I stand sideways and stick my tongue out I look like a zipper! I was offered a part time position as a poster boy for the stick people, so it ain't all bad I guess.

FTF'er
You could throw me a Cheerio to save me from drowning!

Fellro

Staff member
I prefer to take em out and put em in still connected. I have no helpers to help me lift the transmission into place and my scrawny ass can't do it by myself.

That is why they invented jacks... I use floor jacks usually. I made a plate to go on my 3 ton floor jack that makes it so there isn't such a narrow contact surface. Tranny jacks work well also, but are pricey if you rarely do such work.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
with it being a straight drive trans, the trans has to come out anyways. if it was a auto trans, you can leave the auto in place.

Fellro

Staff member
Why does it have to come out? I do those that way as well...

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
hmm i still dunno what to do.. help

Fellro

Staff member
I don't have quite that much lift, but I did make one that has a 3 x 6 angle base making the lift from the jack to the plate... the 3" side is flat on the jack, and th e6" side is the extension upward. The plate on top is about 1' x1'. Works pretty slick once you can get the trans on it...

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
No joke, and looks are deceiving. It is bolted to the jack and is plenty sturdy.

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
Why does it have to come out? I do those that way as well...

manual trans are less forgiving when you put them in a bind within lining up engine and trans. if you get the input shaft cocked you could snap it or break the clutch disc, or even the pressure plate.

Fellro

Staff member
Never had that happen, but I don't use the bolts to draw it in, I make sure it slides all the way in before drawing any bolt tight. Heaven knows I have done plenty of clutches and tranny swaps... It really isn't any different in the frame than it is out of the frame to hook them up. Might be a bit easier out, but still doable in frame if you are careful and smart about it.

Ford Truck Articles