Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

FSB I-6 header

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
So now that the weather has improved enough for me to get out and do some work on getting my stuff up and running before I leave for Sacramento come June I've run into a bit of a snag.

This past fall I swapped an Offy intake, Holley carb, and a hooker header in place of the oh so wonderful stock pieces.

I've got it running quite well and am now at the point of getting the exhaust routed and I'm not sure what to do about it. The first three cylinders
exit the collector slightly angled down and towards the drivers side as well as is directly in front of the cross member.

The rear three exit just forward and above the cross member but also angle down and towards the driver's side.

Anybody thats done the swap could you please tell/show what you did to complete the exhaust.

Thanks,
Eric

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Better quit while you're ahead, headers aren't legal in CA on vehicles newer than '75, unless they're shorties with a CARB certification number. What year is the vehicle?

Last edited:

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
now why aren't headers legal in cali anyway? they don't reduce or make more emissions.... PLUS you can just swap them out when inspection time rolls around! not like the cops are going to pull you over and say "HEY YOU GOT HEADERS?!?!?!?!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
now why aren't headers legal in cali anyway? they don't reduce or make more emissions.... PLUS you can just swap them out when inspection time rolls around! not like the cops are going to pull you over and say "HEY YOU GOT HEADERS?!?!?!?!
Exhaust manifolds are considered 'smog equipment', and therefore, just like catalytic converters you can't tamper with them unless CA has inspected and approved them.

And 'just swapping' headers in and out is not as easy as you think if you don't have a welding or experience with exhaust modification.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
in NH we have a lift law, but people come in with stock tires on 8 inches of lift and it passes. looks ridiculous but passes. then they go home and swap back on the mud tires. if you make flanges on the pipes and headers, you don't need welding equipment. plus just bring it to a shop. they will do it. :) there is always ways around laws. just gotta find the loopholes.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Travis where were you during the infamous "headers in Cali" discussion on the other board? We already talked about all these options and its just not worth it for me. To have the initial exhaust system welded up to fit the longtubes would cost a fortune to begin with. Then the work to swap the headers every 2 years is just not worth it to me.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
this is what i mean. it looks stupid but it passes.

158988.jpg

203839.jpg

and i just found this truck!!!!
net0eg.jpg

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
Travis where were you during the infamous "headers in Cali" discussion on the other board? We already talked about all these options and its just not worth it for me. To have the initial exhaust system welded up to fit the longtubes would cost a fortune to begin with. Then the work to swap the headers every 2 years is just not worth it to me.

OHH YEAH sorry man, i honestly completely forgot about that whole schpeal. oh well i don't live in cali so im happy smilietease

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Travis- what happens if you get caught swapping tires/whatever for inspection in NH?

It's a summonsabe offense here in Maine. (Also, no lifts over 4" are legal....)

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
you get a ticket that says get it fixed...thats about it. to be honest no one really cares. unless its wicked obnoxious. tony's truck would be pushing it here. that is probably the highest ive seen here that is on the streets. most of the big stuff is in the north country of NH and west in the Keene NH area. (middle of nowhere)

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Well, as I'm not sure I'll be living in Cali for good all my stuff will stay ID tagged; and the Bronco is an '84.

Travis, you of all people should know what taking the 300's intake and exhaust manifolds is like, I don't plan to do that when it comes emissions time PLUS, the stock stuff left for the scrap yard some time last fall.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
the 300 is wicked easy to remove the manifolds off of! haha. a lot easier then the 351 or 5.0. its just...right there

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
To clear the crossmember...just make one. The crossmember I mean. I have seen it done a lot with swapping stuff around. I have even "notched" a few of them to clear dual exhaust and welded plates to them for transmission swaps.

That'd be fine; however, there is a skid plate attached to said cross member and that'd have to be "adjusted" as well...

Ford Truck Articles