Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4x4 System

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Well the 4x4 doesnt work in the bronk. I havent really had time to ck anything but does anything got a wiring diag for my style? Oh yea when I push the button is there a light in the truck anywhere? Does the button light up? Its deff from my truck. So I donno what to expect. I know shift motors are common on these but at 70-90 bucks for 1 id like to make sure 1st.

You will probably want to check to see if you have voltage at the shift motor when you engage 4 hi and 4 lo before worrying about the motor itself.

My 01 explorer has a light. Dads 97 F-150 has a light. My 88 F-150 and 89 ranger both had lights, but they were manual T-cases.

Then try cleaining the motor would be my next step. I hate to spend money when I do not have to.

Michigan
I cant remember what style your truck is. If its the flat front end im pretty sure that the 4x4 light is by the guages, that area, sorta by where the turn signal flasher lights would flash. If not then look at the buttons for a square part, those usually light up.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Does yours look anything like mine?

DSC01062Custom.jpg

You can see that mine has a light next to the button that lights up amber when you push it. Actually it lights up amber AFTER the motor engages. If you push the button and the motor doesnt engage then it won't light up.

If you dont have that amber light next to it, there is an amber "4x4" light that comes on next to the green "right turn signal" flasher on the cluster, like Mike said.

When you push the button you should hear the 4x4 module make a clicking sound like a relay. Its under the passenger side kick panel. If you hear no click, then the first place to check is that module. Sometimes the connection can come loose, so take a look. I do also believe that there's a red light on the module that will indicate if it's working properly. I'd have to dig to find the post I made a long time ago about what the different light patterns mean. Something like flashing = bad module, solid = working. I forget... I think I posted that on the other site.

I'll see what I can find out...

Michigan
His is a 88, so it looks like this dashboard...

ford_f150_interior1_small.jpg

Try looking around within the cluster bezel.

Godblessmud, where is your 4x4 light at?

The 4x4 light on my truck is on the right hand side of the steering wheel, next to the brake indicator, the RABS light, and the Right turn signal arrow. :)

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
His is a 88, so it looks like this dashboard...

ford_f150_interior1_small.jpg

Try looking around within the cluster bezel.

Godblessmud, where is your 4x4 light at?

It is to the left of the right hand turn signal light, it would be an amber light that either says 4x4 or 4x4 LO

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Ok yea its not like Chris, or like my F350. No lights light up, no clicken is heard. Godblessmud do you hear a relay click or anything?

Michigan
I would start by checking the motor chris.

Unplug it, get a test light, hook ur ground. Have someone hit the switch and see if the light comes on. If it does then you know your Switches, relays and Modules work. Then you point a finger at the T case motor.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yea im just too lazy right now to be bothered. I got the truck with the plow so if its nasty out ill be drivin that. When I have time I will ck it out.

Michigan
Let us know! ;)

Michigan
thats one high idle lol

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
hahayeah yeah i know im working on it. its actually about 500-800 rpm's off since i took the needles off to replace the gauge face. im working on getting the idle down. i also don't have a vacuum reservoir either so that my contribute to it

Michigan
lol i notice these things! lol

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
i guess you didn't notice i am doing -6 mph? lol and i just realized my sig pic of my truck is WAY out of date...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Hey Travis--- do you know if the 4x4 module clicks with the electronic tcase in the 8th gen trucks? I know it does in the 9th gen.

I hate automatic hubs... [confused]

The light would be here:

Attachments

• 4x4.JPG

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
i think it does. im not positive on that though since i have a manual shift t-case

Ford Truck Articles