Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1950 f3

Hey first post on the site.

I wanted to see if anyone could give me ideas on where to find parts and conversion kits for brakes.. I know about LMC but they seem to be well over priced. I was hoping there was places in the west coast that someone new about that was reasonably priced.

I will get pictures up soon. (what it looks like now is a piece of metal with a coat of rust)

Thanks Kellen Bond

Welcome to the forum. I've ordered parts for my '49 F4 from LMC, Mac's, Dennis Carpenter and Joblot. Prices will be similar with all of them, some like Joblot, carry parts that others don't have. I'm not sure about the brakes. A rear axle from a later Ford 3/4 ton truck would update your rear brakes but, I'm not sure what is available for the front.
Mark Poley

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Hi Kellen, welcome! They are amazing trucks that get under your skin...

Suppliers on the left coast? For most of your truck part needs, Sacramento Vintage Ford is probably one of the best for availablity, reasonable cost and customer service. I've purchased thousands of $$ from them over the past 15 years. I did a frame-off rebuild on my 48 F1 back in 99-01 and SVF has been consistently good!
You also have Bob Drake in s. Oregon, but they have occasional supply problems from their own suppliers and production. They DO have things nobody else has cause they make some parts there.
Patrick's Antique Auto in Arizona are great to deal with.
Red's Headers in So Cal is also one I trust, but I haven't purchased anything from them since Jim bought the company from Red Hamilton. I hear good things, just don't have personal knowledge.

If I were looking for brake parts, I'd start with my local NAPA store. If you have a good one, they're the best and carry most of what you need. Spokane is the regional hub and if the local store doesn't have what i need, most things make it overnite.

One of your issues may be the brake size - if you try to use later wheels. At some point Ford used larger brakes on F3's and later wheels won't clear the bigger drums (i think they're 14" brake drums that are the issue)

One easy solution is to swap out the rear end for better ratio and brakes in one deal. Any F250 rear from 57-72 will swap with minimal work.

Oh, I saw your intro post :) I think you'll be happier with a 302 or 351 in that Ford. Over the long haul, SBC really isn't cheaper. Kind of like the old commercial, "You can pay me now or you can pay me later." Your choice.

Tim Thank you for the help! that gives me a lot of information to get started with.
My plan is to find a F250 rear end and swap it first.

Thanks Kellen Bond

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Hey, I got to looking thru the shop manual and I was wrong on the brake drum size - it says you should have 12" brakes. You don't hit 14's until F4s.

Thanks Tim, I was looking at it last night.

do you think disk brakes in the back is worth my buck or do you think I should go to a pick and pull and take a back end from another rig?

Thanks Kellen

All F-3s from 48 to early 51 had 14" rear drums. That's why the trucks came with 17" wheels while F-2s had 12" drums and 16" wheels. Modern 16" wheels will not clear the 14" drums in most cases. Ford switched to 12" Bendix mid 51 and 52. Any 16" F-250 wheel 1996 and earlier fits. Stu

I just got off the phone with a guy who lives about a hour away, he has a f250 1972 rear end, Ford 360 engine and C6 Transmission. Im hoping to meet up with him Saturday to pick up. he wants $150 for each. do you think its worth my while?

Thanks Kellen

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Thanks Stu! I didn't read far enough and forgot the perspective of the shop manual is 1951.

With what you're talking about I think it all might be a good combo for you. The 360 isn't especially gas mileage friendly but it really depends on how much you plan to drive it. The FE engines are pretty cool powerplants - I have a 360 stored in the shop for a future project.

Welcome to the group, Kellen! Your last post sounds like a good plan. The late model rear will solve a multitude of issues with the older F2's and 3's. The rear drums on the 72 Dana 60 will be more than adequate for stopping power on your truck. They worked fine in the original application for the F250. If you want to add front discs, and it certainly couldn't hurt, here's a company that makes a kit.
http://www.tsmmfg.com/1849.html

Stuffing an FE big block and C6 trans is kind of a tight fit in a Bonus Built, but after it's done, it sure will be a fun ride. :) If you can get the whole mess for $450 or less, and it's all in runable shape, that's a good deal. Go for it!

havi

third member
$150 for the dana rear is a good deal in itself. Then you don't have to worry about wheel size. As far as the front, they are the same spindle as the F1(If I remember right), which is the popular swap, but you'll have to use a different rotor, such as that from a '73 F250 2wd and newer disc brake, for the 8 lug. The TSM kit is basically that kit without the guesswork.... well worth the price, IMO. I'm using them for an IH, couldn't be happier. As far as the master cylinder and booster (if needed), an 8" diaphragm (or 7" if the 8" don't clear) should do the trick, with the adapter kit for keeping it under the cab. A google search on that part should help out. Either way, break it down to segments of the braking system, and it won't be so hard to figure out. Good luck!

Thanks Merc 52 and Havi, both helpful tips. Im looking for a place locally that I can get leaf springs made up. then I will swap the rear end.

2 weeks ago I picked up the 360 engine and C6 Tranny, as well as the rear end. I was able to agree on a price of $375 for all (down from $450) engine ran before it was pulled from 72 ford 250 camper. Tran was rebuild in the last 5 years. and the rear end is in good shape except the right side drum leaks...

I feel like I got a good deal. He also had a 4 barrel manifold that I got him to throw in and its in good shape.

Question: should I leave the 2 barrel manifold in the truck or should I go to a 4 barrel manifold and get a new carburetor? (im interested in HP)

Thanks Kellen

havi

third member
360 FE is built to work with a 2bbl, IMO. But when you decide to up the power to a 390, then the 4bbl, will feel right at home. My 2 cents.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts