Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

"new" 9" rear end

Haven't seen much action so I thought I would try to add some life with a mudane post.

I finally found a '72 9" rear axle for the panel truck. I've been looking for some time and all the ones I found at the swapmeets were in the $400-500, a little nuts for an old rear end I thought. I found one in Craigslist for $75. It has 3/25 gears so it should add a little more speed over the stock 3/93 (I think) gears of the stock rear end.

Can't wait for spring so I can drag the trucks out of storage and do some work on them. I get Spring Fever around January 3rd.
bumpy.gif

I'm not really going to hot rod it. I want to keep it mostly stock. I do have a dual carb set up for the flattie though. Once I get the overheating problem solved then I can get the rear end in and the manifold installed and see what it can do.

I have a stock F-2 with flat six and four speed. It's a real truck and isn't meant for speed but with the panel I would like to be able to take it on the highway once in a while.

That is a sweet axle he found. It is in really good shape with new brakes.

I agree about driving them on the highway. They were built as farm trucks (or delivery panels). I drive mine 55 and 60, but I am doing (mathematically) 2700 RPM when I do. If I can ever get the 9" it should drop a little at highway speeds.

I rarely have it in town, so it needs something. LOL

havi

third member
I got mine for $150, and would say that $400-500 is way on the high side. Not even December yet, and Spring fever is already starting to kick in, lol.

I was just looking at a decent 67 half ton truck for $400 here local. was considering buying the truck just for the axle, but I already have 2 rolling frames sitting in the driveway.
hmm kind of hate to do that, then I have to deal with the leftovers! I'm sure i could make it pay for itself though if I do go that route. Still looking for a 9 inch for my 51 f1.
Later
Josh

Ford Truck Articles