Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Improved fuel consumption?

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
The market seems to be flooded with aftermarket bolt-on or additives to improve fuel consumption, which is a must now a days.

I'm not interested in invested into a gimmick that will pay itself in a couple years. And most kits or for modern computerized fuel injkected engines.

Is there somethin cheap, friendly usable and proven to help reduce smog and improve fuel consumption in our old trucks?

Tyl

Make them as efficient as possible.

Major things are: Oil changes, Air Filters and drive like there is a fresh egg under the gas pedal.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
smilieIagree In our shop, we notice fuel and air filters are the most often overlooked. In driving, it's low engine rpm's that'll improve mileage. Example, BMW did a study 10 years ago,, and discovered cars are fairly efficient while they're accelerating, but folks tend to hang too long in the lower gears, and that's what really destroys fuel mileage.

Don't forget to check that tire air pressure and wheel alignment.

tylstruck

Yeah, I do change my fluids quite regularly. Have an oil bath breather...

I changed my oil for 20-40 to 20-50. My uncle reccomended the thicker oil because I don't use the truck as much.

I am thinking of trying this out;

http://multifuelsaver.mpgproduct.com/en/mpgcaps.aspx

However, the cost of the caps used may end up being the savings...

Tyl

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
I don't know what that was? but it looks like snake oil to me ? smiliestirthepot :hammer:
have ever given www.fitchfuelcatalyst.com any thoughts?
I have heard good reviews on it, I have not tried it myself?
but if I had the extra cash right now I would

Fuel Mileage Converter:
http://www.1728.com/convmlge.htm

Here is my take on Fuel mileage.

By the time you are finished reading this you will be able to answer this question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Considering the FACT there are so many variables regarding fuel economy it would be hard to get a specific answer.

Things to consider:
1)Quality of Fuel
2)Additives
3)Tune & Efficiency of Engine (camshaft)
4)Altitude
5)Driving technique
6)Topography where you are driving
7)How much city/how much highway driving
8)Gear ratio & size of tires
9)Weight of the vehicle
10)Tire inflation
11)Vehicle design (drag)
12)Clean air filter
13)Transmission
14)2WD -vs- 4WD

Just to name a few.

I drive a 78 pickup with a well tuned 429 engine,at an altitude of 3400 ft above sea level,with normal weight on the truck with a canopy,tires inflated to spec,using premium fuel,2.75 rear,C6 Trans, With my foot on the pedal like there was a egg under it, in Canada in a city that the downtown is located in a valley.

I get 14 city & 18-19 hwy.

Does this help ?

tylstruck

I saw that Fitch bolt on catalist on trucks this morning. I'll read up about it later tonight. Don't think it works on carb engines, but will read it.

Last summer, the truck ran 7.65 mpg. Has the 330 HD engine, single exhaust stack, plenty parts weight on, plus pulling a tent trailer.

Does dual exhaust really improve the gas mileage?

Tyl

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Yes, dual exhaust can improve your mileage. Most people do it for the added sound/mild performance benefits, though. But if you can keep yourself from rippin' it with a nicer sounding engine you should see some mileage increases (MILD increases). A new headers back exhaust would do a better job of increasing mileage.

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
Yes ! it does work on engine's running carburetors ,
it works by improving the quality, octane rating, etc, of your fuel
how it does it I don't know?

Fellro

Staff member
Make them as efficient as possible.

Major things are: Oil changes, Air Filters and drive like there is a fresh egg under the gas pedal.
Hmm, I think maybe it should be rotten egg under there, the repercussions are greater....
I have done some messing around with my driving style to see what changes it does make. I took a car that had a one time best of 34 mpg and got 35 with it by just changing my driving habit a bit... it used to average 31 with my normal habit, with that one time best of 34, now, it has gone up to the 35 and average 32 when I forget myself more... In basic, I am in 5th gear by 50, let it pull down on hills like I am towing a trailer, without the throttle response. I drive the hills like I do my diesel. I found it had zero effect to step into the throttle when going up a hill with a load, so I would step into the throttle a little at the base of the hill, and then hold that position all the way up the hill no matter how much it pulled down, unless it was lugging. I discovered I really didn't lose that much speed, the engine sound changed, but the speed really didn't match the sound. I had been deceived by the sound for all those years, when it really didn't make that much difference. I applied that to the econobeater, and bumped up my mileage.
For some ideas, check this site out: www.cleanmpg.com They use hybrids, but some of the ideas might help.

tylstruck

On the left side of my dash bezel on the '79 above the headlight and wiper knobs, is two warning light. The top is orange, for fuel efficiency. We tied soo many times and different driving styles to light it up. It never has. The last and botom is red to warn the parking brake is enguaged. I have a lever type parking brake. Down for it to be released, up to enguage it.

Dual exhaust would be nice. I've seen a '65 F350 with nice chrome dual stacks climbing each rear corner of the cab, like a big rig.

This summer I have to shorten my single exhaust. It foolows the chassis and curves to the side right behind my passenger side mudflap. That mudflap sways back with the wind and speed and gets burnt on the exhaust. I will cut it 45 degrees pointing to the ground before it curves to the side. The mudflap won't get burnt anymore but will weld in my toolbox right behind that mudflap to the incline of my bed.

Tyl

Shamus

Defector Fidèle
Might I ask a question I'm sure will be answered? How do you so accurately measure your MPG?

I have a single 19.2 gallon tank and running it dry repeatedly to test economy would be quite a hassle, not to mention unsafe. I would love to accurately gauge my fuel usage.

Fellro

Staff member
Pretty much fill it the same way every time. I always try to get as much in as I can without it spilling out. Totally accurate, no, but it gets a ballpark figure...

Shamus

Defector Fidèle
I am gun-shy with mine. I have run out about three times until I could get a good read on the fuel gauge. My read on the gauge? Refill at an 1/8 of a tank!

tylstruck

Miles per gallon. Fill up the tank, note your mileage and go till the next fillup. Calculate your mileage divided by fuel tank size.

Tyl

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Mil1ion,

I am curious to know if your engine(I believe it came from the factory with a 400?) came with a fan clutch on the 400 when you purchased the truck. Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but reading your post reminded of the question.

Not that I can remember FD.

It only had a 2 row rad.

Ford Truck Articles