Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

rims

kevin9

New Jersey Chapter member
hey guys.have a 51 ford f3 and i am looking for a set of rims that will fit.i have 16 inch late model 8 lug ford rims from an f250 on the front and they fit nice.the only problem is they do not fit the rear because the rear drums are 14 inch.i want to run radial tires and i am not interested in stock rims.would just like to know if anyone has found a rim from later models that will fit.perhaps 16.5?please let me know and happy holidays

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Two ways around it that I know of.

One: find drums and backing plates from an F2 that uses 12" brakes. The trucks are physically the same size so unless you plan on hauling F3 loads all the time, stopping won't be an issue. (or even swap in the whole F2 axle)

Option two: Swap in a newer rear end from a 57 - 72 F250. The width is the same and you'll have the 8 bolt hubs along with the 12" brakes. You might have to adjust some driveline issues, but anything should be fairly minor.

havi

third member
Just to add to what mtflat said, the Dana from the '57-72 might offer a better gear ratio as well, for highway use.

kevin9

New Jersey Chapter member
thanks guys for your help.i never really thought to swap the f2 backing plates.anybody have some?

Ford Truck Articles