Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2006 Ford Escape XLT Half-Shaft

I recently discovered that both tone rings on each of the front shafts were cracked. In order to keep teh ABS from coming on I had to disable the sensors. I thought the rings could be replaced but everyone says it's better to just replace the half shaft that includes the tone ring since you pretty much would have to take the whole thing out anyways. Plus I checked with the dealer and they won't sell you just a tone ring either.
After getting a price from a dealer I started checking online for aftermarket parts. I recently replaced the lower control arms with some aftermarket oen and saved about $100 per side. What I need to find out is how many teeth are on the tone ring and the spline tooth count and the overall length of each shaft because there are a significant number of aftermarket manufacturers out there and even looking for the specific year, make and model there are some variations.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I've replaced some rings on them, and I've heard the "cant sell just the ring" stories. Look and see if you can buy a tribute ring.

Tone ring on 2006 Escape

I was told by the dealer they stopped selling the rings a while ago and they "prefer" you replce the half-shaft as a unit. It's also way more costly to us, the user...another reason they don't/won't sell just the ring anymore.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
We sell and install tone rings every other day usually have them in stock being a common problem like it is. Easy to change to, remove the axle, put new ring in a oven and heat it for 10 to 15 min then using a brass punch and hammer tap it on. Also make sure you clean up the rust on the axle where the ring goes. Removing the axle is easy also, remove the tire, remove axle nut, the remove front lower control arm bolt (15mm head).

Ford Truck Articles