Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Any other Y-blocks or flat heads here?

I am aware of two flat heads and my Y-block, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Any more around I have not seen yet?

As far as I know...mine is a 272 Y-block.

DSCF0737.jpg

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Did you count mine? I've got 3 flathead powered vehicles, plus a handful of loose ones holding the floor down under the bench and in the corners of the shop........or did you want pictures?

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
That's because the exhaust does come around the front of the motor. Great way to distinguish a Y block.

I'm glad you didn't ask why it comes around the front! , cause I don't have a clue......it does clear the steering gearbox right?

If the truck Y-block had the normal car exhaust manifold on the drivers side...it would run right through the steering box.

You can buy VERY EXPENSIVE rams horn manifolds that are center dump and you can buy headers that clear, but the crossover pipe is stock in the trucks.

Cars had a more normal exhaust manifold.

And no...It slipped my mind (or something) that you had more than one flat head. JeffH has one as well. :wavey:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
1954/56 Y blocks installed in Ford passengers cars (not Birds) have the same type of front crossover pipe the trucks do. I have the burn scars on my arms to prove it!

Easiest way to tell if the engine is a Y block: The dizzy is BEHIND the carburetor.

What crossover pipe?

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j46/1954ford/1956fordtownsedan001.jpg

My truck had one too.And I agree they are great for arm burns while adjusting valves(hot).:)

Had is the key word on that one. Your is the 54? It had the odd size Y-block? What happened to it? Just curious.

When I was looking for a 56, I was going hotrod with it. Then Donald found this one for me. I was going to hotrod it, but it ran well and drives out too nice. I get soooo much attention having that crossover pipe there. People ignore vettes (and other fancy finished show type cars) and walk over to mine at cruise ins.

Its actually funny to watch. :rolling laugh:

Brian, I remember when you got your truck.I think you got a great deal on it.:) If I had to do it all over again.I kind of wish I would have just installed a 5 speed and disc brakes and been done with it.
I still have the 239 but it was a car engine.I have started to sale my y-block stuff on ebay.(Need the money)

Ahh...239. I knew it was a different size in 54. Just could not remember what exactly. :headbang:

I didn't even know a Y-block existed when I bought mine. I just knew it ran when I brought it home. The carb needed a kit, but otherwise the engine is just like it was. A little cleaner inside and out I suppose. It needed an oil change badly!!

Donald found me a good deal as far as I am concerned. I was just looking for a relatively straight, solid body at the time. Even with what I have in it now, I am pretty sure I could get my money back fairly easily. Not that I will ever sell it.

Several on this site keep hinting about it though........smilietease

Ford Truck Articles