Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General > General Conversation

Old 01-04-2017, 06:01 PM
ride'n on 35's

wizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond repute
callin the powerstroke guru's

I know a lot of folks here know ive got a 250 sd with the awesome 7.3 in it and its ben a awesome truck. today the wife and I brought up that by next year would be time to replace it. theres know way in he!! id get a 6.0 but what about the 6.7's ? are they just as bullet proof as the 7.3's? so I gess what I'm askin is what would be the best replacement for my 7.3 truck? or would I be better off parking mine and doing a bumper to bumper restore? its got 192,000 miles and getin rusty. run's and drives great and never let me down, so I'm kinda leanin that way but she wants me to get something newer
Old 01-04-2017, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
I've heard a lot of good about the 6.7s. Definitely a huge improvement over the 6.0 and also the 6.4

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 01-05-2017, 01:22 AM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
the 6.0's can be just as reliable as the 7.3's if the treated right.. they got a bad name in the first couple years but the bugs did eventually get worked out... 6.4's were the 6.0's with just more displacement (alot if their parts were interchangeable but there are other differences between them too).. while the engines were designed and built by Navstar/International the problems they had were a result of 2 factors.. prior to their inital release Ford was warned about turning the tunes up to generate more power than what the engine was designed for to compete with GM and Dodge's numbers.. while this caused issues of its own the other side of it came in when people bought the trucks they turned the tunes up even further causing more of the failures you commonly hear of.. example head gasket issues..

while the 6.7 are reported to be little more reliable than the 6.0's and 6.4s because of their reputations the 6.7s have issues of their own.. ive even talked to a few that wished they never got rid of their 7.3's.. One trade off is youll now have to buy the DEF fluid to fill the tank.. Supposed to last till you need to do an oil change. But some are finding theyre having to refill the tank more often than that.

Some of the common problems with the 6.7 are as follows..

EGR Temp Sensor failure. - this tends to cause frequent appearances of the SES light to come on.. This sensors so prone to failure Fords issued extended warranty coverages just for the replacement of it.. while replacing a sensor doesnt sound like a hard job. its been known to get frozen where its threaded into. sometimes heating it will unfreeze it but many are having to be drilled out and threads retapped for the new one to be installed..

EGR Cooler - Unfortunately the failure of these has not gone away on the 6.7's.. They are just as prone to fail if not more than they were on the 6.0's and 6.4's due to their relocation causing even faster carbon build up than they did on the 6.0 and 6.4..

Coolant Leaks - radiator, turbo base coolant seal, turbo coolant inlet fitting, and water pump leaks are the most common spots for these leaks to appear on the 6.7.. The turbo coolant inlet fitting is rather easy to replace with the removal of the upper intake, but removal of the turbo charger for replacement of that block to turbo gasket is a much harder task. The radiator replacement is actually one of the hardest radiators compared to the other 2 to be changed because of the size, angle of mounting, and the addition of the secondary cooling system radiator. the water pump is difficult in its own rights to change but if your a pretty good mechanic in skill it can be done.

Oil Leaks - Another issue the 6.7 hasnt managed to shake off as they are just as prone to oil leaks as the 6.0 and 6.4's were. But on the 6.7's it seems to be limited to the front cover area because of the loosening of the vacuum pump bolts

Turbo Chargers Are Prone to Failure - The turbocharger failures is a direct result of Ford using smaller than adequate turbocharger to produce massive amounts of boost and air flow required on this engine application. The failures of the turbocharger is believed to be due to the turbines being over-spun to produce the amount of boost pressure they do. It is usually intensified by aftermarket performance enhancements. Directly from fords they are already working slightly over their max designed limits in the stock setup. Add a performance tune or lighter compressor wheels and your asking for quicker failures. The problem could be solved with aftermarket performance turbocharger on the earlier model 6.7L Powerstrokes.. The 2017's and above are now using a larger turbocharger to reduce failures (and create more power!).

Those are some of the biggies... in addition to those there is also fuel rail pressure sensor failures, fuel rail temperature sensor failures, broken injector return lines, NOx senors (now under a TSB), and other repairs that require the replacement of the entire SCR system. High pressure fuel system contamination is a very common, and a very expensive repair but happens most frequently from human error due to water contaminated in the fuel or DEF additions to the fuel tank instead of the DEF tank.

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

"I never FAIL... I succeed at finding what doesn't work."
-Christopher Titus

Last edited by Sparky83; 01-05-2017 at 01:35 AM. Reason: fixed several typos
Old 01-05-2017, 09:42 AM
ride'n on 35's

wizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond reputewizzard351 has a reputation beyond repute
thanks Sparky that's what I was looking for. I've herd folks say the same thing about wishing they' never got rid of the 7.3, I just don't wana be one of "those guys". I don't need 500+plus hp in my daily driver so up grading to something newer just for more hp isn't a concern. I did the banks exhaust with the git kit and its plenty for what I do. I got one neighbor with the same truck as mine and he's got 1.3 million on his and another neighbor that's got 500,000+ miles on his. so I know these engines can get big miles rolled on them with little trouble. I aleady put a new bed on mine from a 2012 that's rust free so if I did the rest id need cab corners ,rocker panels and all 4 doors. would be nice to put a front clip on from a 2012 but I haven't dug into that one yet to see if itll fit.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:09 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzard351 View Post
thanks Sparky that's what I was looking for. I've herd folks say the same thing about wishing they' never got rid of the 7.3, I just don't wana be one of "those guys". I don't need 500+plus hp in my daily driver so up grading to something newer just for more hp isn't a concern. I did the banks exhaust with the git kit and its plenty for what I do. I got one neighbor with the same truck as mine and he's got 1.3 million on his and another neighbor that's got 500,000+ miles on his. so I know these engines can get big miles rolled on them with little trouble. I already put a new bed on mine from a 2012 that's rust free so if I did the rest id need cab corners ,rocker panels and all 4 doors. would be nice to put a front clip on from a 2012 but I haven't dug into that one yet to see if itll fit.
agreed... ive heard ppl say that so many times or claim they want to upgrade to get better mpg due to the prices.. but they forget to calculate that for the next 3-6 years they now have that car payment on top of the fuel bills which means theyre spending more each month than what they would have staying with the old one.. I could understand it if it was breaking down all the time, the frames about to go, or it wasnt able to handle the jobs they needed it to. but upgrading just to have the latest and greatest doesnt make sense to me..

friend of mine lives in the rust belt he loves his 2000 7.3. but the body was rotten on it because of the salt.. had been running a plywood bed for a few years... but last year on his birthday his wife agreed to let him buy an 08 body to stick on it.. hes got the bed already on it just needs to get the cab and front clip swapped over.. says it will be his summer project

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

"I never FAIL... I succeed at finding what doesn't work."
-Christopher Titus
Old 01-05-2017, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

blacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond reputeblacksnapon has a reputation beyond repute
Plain and simple, I would much rather have a 6.0 than a 6.4. Not much going wrong with the 6.7 though. Because I'm not afraid of the 6.0 and its so much cheaper than a 6.7 I'd lean toward the 6.0