Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2008 f 250 4x4 super duty

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
How sharp of a turn are we talking about? Turn foull to lock and it will do that as the axles are binding a bit. Are we doing this on a hard dry surface or soft or slick surface??

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Actually not supposed to operate it in 4WD on a hard, dry surface.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
experiencing what I think you can call wheel hop. One side is trying to 'catch up' with the other. Your differentials are not operating independently.

Ryan

Sorry for the above short answer dennis2, I had to go and give my dog an insuline shot....

When you put your truck in 4wd, you lock the front differential together with the rear through the transfer case.

To explain this you have to imagine an overhead view, looking down over your truck. When you put your truck in a tight turn, the front tires are making a bigger circle than the rear. When you have it in 4wd on hard dry pavement and turn a tight turn, your front tires are traveling a farther distance than the rear tires. What you're feeling in the steering wheel is is as O'Rattlecan described in an earlier post, wheel hop, where the front tires are fighting the rear.

I hope that explains it somewhat to you.

BTW, I sure didn't mean to forget, welcome to our site. Make yourself at home here and please post up and post often. If you like what you see here, tell your friends.

Oh, I almost forgot, congratulations on the new 2008 f250. If ya get a chance, post up some pictures and fill us in on how you like it etc.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Like they said, it's normal.

But that doesn't mean it's good. Don't drive in 4x4 on pavement. It's not designed for it, and it's not good for it. That "vibration" you're feeling is putting a lot of stress on drivetrain components.

*Like a lot of things, you'll find guys who swear they've done it for years and never had any problem. Me, I listen to my friend with 300k on his F-350 (no drivetrain repairs except the clutch), and he says don't do it. Don't worry about having damaged it from what you've done, but try not to do it again. :)

Ford Truck Articles