Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generations 8-9

Generations 8-9 1987-1996 F150 + 1987-1997 F250, F350

Old 03-12-2019, 08:06 PM

ainteasybeinsteezy is on a distinguished road
Hassle-free 351W swaps - F250 Big Block?

I have a 91 e350 with a strong 351W and failing transmission. I'm in desperate need of a 4x4 now with my new oilfield job and I'd like to drop the van's 351W into a 4x4 roller. I need toughness and off road reliability. I dont want to mess with modding or fabricating. I dont want to pay a fortune, and I'd prefer an older model that I won't need to get smogged, although this engine will pass smog no problem since its got its smog pump on there. But its probably destined to come off. A/C is a plus but not required. Which models/years would this directly fit into without any headaches? My neighbor has an 89 F250 sitting there and I know it needs an engine. I think it's a 460 though. Thinking about making him an offer for it but not sure if it's the right truck for me. Will this be a straightforward swap? Or is it a big hassle? What should I look for?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2019, 08:32 PM

heavydoc will become famous soon enough
I do believe the 460 had a different engine crossmember.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavydoc View Post
I do believe the 460 had a different engine crossmember.
Is that problematic?

Old 03-13-2019, 04:37 AM

heavydoc will become famous soon enough
I don't think the motor mounts would would be even close. IIRC the 460 and 6.9/7.3 had a common frame. And then the other engines shared a common frame.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:42 AM
don't play well w others

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
351w won't bolt up to 460
351w bolts up to 4.9, 5.0, and 351w only

I would buy the 460 truck, and replace/rebuild the 460
Old 03-13-2019, 06:45 PM

So I pretty much need another former 351 chassis? How about 302 chassis? Lots of choices there...will it swap with any Clevelands? I see lots of both of those going cheap.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:55 PM
don't play well w others

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
Last Cleveland was in 73/74
Do you really want to restore a truck to work in?
See my other post for what your 351 w bolts up to, but keep in mind if you have an e4od you need the computer for 351/ e4od
Also, food for thought, the van efi plenum is not the same as the pickup, so there is that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybumpers View Post
Last Cleveland was in 73/74
Do you really want to restore a truck to work in?
See my other post for what your 351 w bolts up to, but keep in mind if you have an e4od you need the computer for 351/ e4od
Also, food for thought, the van efi plenum is not the same as the pickup, so there is that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Interesting. I'll have to look at your suggestions for a swap... no I don't want to restore a truck to work out of. i just want to get a clapped out junker running good enough so I don't have to keep ruining my brand new vehicles at work. These new vehicles start falling apart at 100k when I take them on the job everyday with all the plastic stuff and extra electronics and nice finishes. Basically I just need a solid farm truck since I basically drive around in the muddy corn fields everyday. If it breaks down occasionally, I will a very nice have a backup truck on hand.