Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2004 Ranger I picked up last Saturday

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
That hurts looking at it!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Is it pretty humid there Randy?

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Not real bad. Some days it is but mainly it isn't.
Its all the salt. They even have automated brine sprayers on the bridges that automatically spray when the temp sensors hit 32°.
I'm not kidding when I say you can take a shovel and stop along a road here and fill a 5 gallon bucket with salt in a few minutes they spread it so heavy. They contaminated Wells near the Roads due to heavy salt use.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I know they use a lot of salt here but they don't rust out like that, it's dryer than a popcorn fart here, I was wondering if the humidity played a part.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
If you travel to WV or pa less than 20 miles. You don't see this amount of rust.
That's why I seldom ever buy local trucks. I go south to VA or NC to buy salt and rust free rides.

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Not real bad. Some days it is but mainly it isn't.
Its all the salt. They even have automated brine sprayers on the bridges that automatically spray when the temp sensors hit 32°.
I'm not kidding when I say you can take a shovel and stop along a road here and fill a 5 gallon bucket with salt in a few minutes they spread it so heavy. They contaminated Wells near the Roads due to heavy salt use.

Randy, is it brine or is it calcium/magnesium chloride?

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
MdSHA uses calcium chloride during extremely cold storms, and is experimenting with sugar beet molasses. Additionally, some areas of the country are using alternatives such as calcium magnesium acetate (CMA), sugar beet molasses, cheese brine and others to reduce the use of salt.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts