Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Bed Plate Seal, how bad?

This is what's being done to my truck. Is this a big job? Should I be worried?

blacksnapon

Staff member
the 6.0 block is 2 parts. The bed plate is actually your main bearing caps as well. Depending on the skill of the tech is whether or not you have re-occuring problems. The motor has to come out for this one.

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I knew the heads were two pieces, but I never noticed that the block was too when we had it out.

I was hoping to be able to quote the work they did off of the invoice by now, but the truck's still being worked-on. I don't know exactly how much time has been spent actually working on my truck, but it's been in there for 2 weeks now.confused

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
the 6.0 block is 2 parts. The bed plate is actually your main bearing caps as well. Depending on the skill of the tech is whether or not you have re-occuring problems. The motor has to come out for this one.
I went to my buddies shop to look at my spare engine and now see that it is indeed two parts. Weird!

Have you been to the shop where the work is being done and have they removed the cab?? I'm just curious since different shops take different approaches...
I've been out of town for the last couple of weeks, so I haven't gone down there. But, the last time I spoke to the SA, he said they were pulling the engine. He did mention that they do pull the cabs for some jobs, just not this one. Something about needing to work on the Bed Plate seal with the engine inverted?!?!

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
I've been out of town for the last couple of weeks, so I haven't gone down there. But, the last time I spoke to the SA, he said they were pulling the engine. He did mention that they do pull the cabs for some jobs, just not this one. Something about needing to work on the Bed Plate seal with the engine inverted?!?!
From what I saw on my spare, they'll have to take it apart from the bottom. Since you have a 4x4 with an axle under the oil pan, they'll need to take the engine out and put it on a very sturdy stand to work on it. You might ask if they'd be willing to install some head studs for you if you supply them while they've got the engine out. Could save you some in the long run.

There's just no way I'm typing out everything on the Invoice. . .So here it is, it seems like a lot of parts just to change a bed plate gasket?!?!.

Page 1
Page 2
Page 3

bowtiehatr

Certified Ford Tech
the engine has to be torn apart pretty good to get the bedplate off. if you do it right putting it together, alot of seals have to be replaced.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts