Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

LED upgrade question

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I'm working on an LED upgrade project and as such, options are being explored. With that in mind, has anyone here experimented with/modified and installed Osram Joules? If so, thoughts/reactions?

031_media_container4.jpg

osram_hbled.jpg

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
LED's ordered. :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Keep up posted Mr. Edison :D

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I'd love to know if anyone has tried those Joules. Once upon a time they were $100 each, luckily today they are about $40, used, on flea bay.

I'm really diggin the projector led's, the ones with a CREE for the projector and some SMD's scattered around the periphery so as to emit light over 360*. I note from the specs that, and depending on the SMD LED, they emit light at between 120 and 160*; not bad. I have also noted that the output in lumens, as quoted by the sellers (and from the manufacturer?) is not consistent at all; IMO, I think they mfgrs are dimming their LED's, and ones of the same part number but different manufacturers, I believe they do this to lower the heat and extend the life of the bulbs. Yes, LED's really do put out heat and will self destruct from it.

And finally, don't forget that EP27 5 pin flasher, never use those crappy resistors when you can use the flasher intended for use with LED's.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Depends on how they are dealing with the heat.....some might give you maximum output without the driver throttling it back so they don't self destruct from heat....some might give you the lumen output with a heat dependent driver....some might give you initial lumens..some might give you lifetime average.

Crap shoot ain't it?

:D

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Crap shoot ain't it?
:D

Got that right, each and every one is an experiment and a prototype. Speaking of which, and I think I told you this, they act real funny and do funny things when the needed doide, needed to prevent backfeed, is omitted. This backfeed and the problems, I think, are caused by that driver. I got very suspicious when testing my first set of projectors (http://www.ebay.com/itm/321604531896?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT) as the turn/brake light function was great, but the park/tail light would NOT light and I threw an ohm meter on the bulbs and got "funny" results. 25K ohms on one side and infinity on the other and leads were tested both ways? I smell a rate. Test each side of the bulb on a battery and all is good. Use test leads and wire in just the park light, it works. Get some diodes and wire them in with test leads to the park light side and another on the flasher/brake light side, all works great. Test if both diodes are needed to cure backfeed issues and learned that all backfeed problems are eliminated by using one diode on the turn light side.

So yes, it is a crap shoot but I'm glad I know how to solve the problems. :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Write this up when get it sorted out Bill....having good information is a great thing, esp. when done by someone that is thorough.

:beer:

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I'm not sure what to really write up as my experience has been, each situation (ie, fixture) and vehicle is different. Then the bulbs, you don't know what you're getting and to open them (and I would LOVE TO) will most likely ruin them. They are consistently inconsistent. What I've done so far is when I score a home run, I buy a few spares for that location. I know people tend to be curious about LED upgrades, but there is work and trial and error involved. And if you cozy up to the laws of the state I live in, it appears as though it may even be illegal; however, I do believe that a ticketed person could, with not too much effort, cast doubt that they do NOT comply with the Federal Standards (FMVSS108).

BTW, I found FMVSS108 to be like most gov't docs I've read. Long, windy, boring, and when they use a near obsolete unit of light brightness called candlepower, I have to wonder how automakers can comply.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
OEM incandescent on top, my LED builds on the bottom. Ain't they pertty! Reality is, you don't really want to know how much time it took to build the first one of each of those.

Final_2_R0.JPG

Verifying correct fitment and alignment of the new LED for the fog light switch. You'll never find that one for sale in a store!

FLS_fitment_verify.JPG

Last edited:

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Thanx!

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Well here we go again, after researching and comparing available options, I ordered and installed a pair of these in the front park/turn light. And the result is simply outstanding, the pattern is so close to OEM and the difference, if one can distinguish, is so debatable that it's effectively impossible to tell the difference, and response time of the LED's really makes them stand out. On the light pattern, yes it is true that there are Federal Standards for visibility of all the exterior vehicle lights as well as state laws addressing them. However, if a person really stares at their lights and thinks about it, then looks at the lighting on other cars, it's easy to see that there are all kinds of cars out there with all kinds of variations.......and surely, as OEM, they complied. Common sense goes a long ways in guiding a person into the right LED for their application. Here's what I used:

Amber_3157_33x_5730SMD_LED_Bulbs_3.jpg

Amber_3157_33x_5730SMD_LED_Bulbs_2.jpg

Ford Truck Articles