Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

This is will definitely be a fun journey but im ready for it. I went from a 96 s10 project truck to now a 66 f100.... im still a week into owning the "new" truck...

Anyways onto the important stuff lol

Again the truck is a 66 ford f100 twin ibeams

Bought the truck off ebay... came from panama city, fl. The previous owner did some brake work, replaced the lights all the way around, did new tires and rims, did some upholstery work on the bench seat, spray in bedliner, and supposively fresh paint(maybe about a year ago fresh....has imperfections)

Overall for a 66 its starts, drives, and body is pretty damn straight... it does have some imperfections, its a 66 so its expected, like the front windshield has a crack, the rear window seal isnt sitting right, missing the key lock on the drivers side, molding and badges can be replaced, new exhaust needed, some interior work needed, missing battery hold down, the portion of the bed near the cab needs to be addressed, and it seems to have a rear main seal leak.... knick nacs that need addressed.

Will definitely keep updates coming when they do. Right now im researching the best way about converting it to automatic. Really want to keep the inline 6 but put an auto trans behind it.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Welcome to FTF!

Nice truck!

Fellro

Staff member
Looks like you got a heck of a nice base to start off with. The 300 uses the same transmission bell housing as a 3202 or 351W, so you have plenty of options for transmissions. Another upgrade I would recommend is the master cylinder, get a two reservoir unit on there.

Looks like you got a heck of a nice base to start off with. The 300 uses the same transmission bell housing as a 3202 or 351W, so you have plenty of options for transmissions. Another upgrade I would recommend is the master cylinder, get a two reservoir unit on there.

Thanks for the advice... i located a c4 trans that came out of a 74 f100 that was mated to a 300 when. Oth were pulled in working condition and so im assuming im able to, if i can get it, bolt it up to the 300 i have no problem other than needing a new column, shifter, and maybe a driveshaft mod? Also have any recommendations for a 2 reservoir master cyclinder?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Make sure to get the flywheel, and motor plate and starter with the transmission. The driveshaft may also be a different length, so you may need to have yours altered.

Fellro

Staff member
You of course need the flex plate as well. It is up to you if you go as far as changing the pedals, or just leave the clutch pedal there and let it be on the floor.

for the master, 66 was the last year of the singles, so if you go to 67, it will be a double. Main trick is getting it to bolt up. While you are at it, might as well get a booster and make them power brakes. I see you also have manual steering, so that would be an upgrade you may want as well.

You of course need the flex plate as well. It is up to you if you go as far as changing the pedals, or just leave the clutch pedal there and let it be on the floor.

for the master, 66 was the last year of the singles, so if you go to 67, it will be a double. Main trick is getting it to bolt up. While you are at it, might as well get a booster and make them power brakes. I see you also have manual steering, so that would be an upgrade you may want as well.

Us removing the clutch pedal hard to do?

Will look into the master/booster. As far as power steering goes, i will be addressing that when i have the air ride suspension attacked.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
howdy... nice truck..

Make sure to get the flywheel, and motor plate and starter with the transmission. The driveshaft may also be a different length, so you may need to have yours altered.

If im able to get the trans and it doesnt have the flywheel, plate, or starter with it, what should i look for as far as buying those parts to go with the trans?

Wish people would put their contact info or check their emails from craigslist ads lol

Fellro

Staff member
Us removing the clutch pedal hard to do?

Will look into the master/booster. As far as power steering goes, i will be addressing that when i have the air ride suspension attacked.

Not really, especially not on these older trucks, just not real fun being under the dash work.

The good news on the starter and flex plate is you can pick them up new and not for that much by comparison with newer vehicles. The other filler/cover plate is more trouble to get ahold of most times.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Flex plate/flywheel can be had from parts store. Make sure to find out what motor you have though, some are external balance. Get the numbers off the motor, and we will run them for you.

Starter for the motor MUST match the flex plate/ flywheel. You will have to count the teeth and get the correct starter.

Flex plate/flywheel can be had from parts store. Make sure to find out what motor you have though, some are external balance. Get the numbers off the motor, and we will run them for you.

Starter for the motor MUST match the flex plate/ flywheel. You will have to count the teeth and get the correct starter.

Where can i find the number off the motor... dumb question i know lol

Ford Truck Articles