Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Roadlux...aka...Omni..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
* flame suit on....maybe even 2 *

This started with my 750 and has kind of migrated over to a possible RV as well.

I've got about 100,000 miles on the 750 and have gone through 2 sets of front tires due to the front drive axle...both were brand names, Toyo and Continental.

Not cheap, esp. up here..as in $500+ each.

Just got some prices a couple of weeks ago on 2 new ones as the safety is coming up this month and there is no way they will last another year.

I called up a new tire shop that was recommended to me by the owner of the shop I take my truck to and he gave me 3 options....two were brand name tires around the $500 mark, one was "Roadlux" at around $350.

I've been doing some asking and research about those tires...just like everything else, made in China...went and talked to some guys that run both gravel trucks and OTR...surprisingly there was zero, yes zero negative about them...all positive including (obviously) the price.

Since I seem to wear the edges out long before the main tread wears out, I'm seriously considering trying them out.

This has also spilled over to an RV I'm looking at....that unit will need 8 new tires and will see minimal yearly mileage...in fact I'd be surprised if it saw more than 20k miles in 10 years...the time that it would be wise to change the tires due to age.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I'd say for sure on the rv. They'll dry rot long before they wear out.

On the truck, if you're really not getting unusually good service out of the name brand, why not go cheap? I guess my only question is how many miles do they last compared to the Toyo or etc.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The feedback I'm getting here from guys that are actually using them is the life is the same as the brand name units.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Been there done that with China tires, never again.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Been there done that with China tires, never again.

The trailer tire things seems to be ongoing

As you've said before, Duncan. What matters is how the tires are spec'd when they are manufactured.

That's my thinking and after talking to one guy that runs 10 gravel trucks full time it sure has made me think.

I sell a lot of chinese tyres (most of my clients are pretty budget concious) Duncan and have noticed that the heavier 8 pr and up wear just as well as the more expensive brands ..... if you are wearing the outer edges significantly quicker than the centres and your wheel alignment is spot on i'd increase your tyre pressures by 10% and see if that helps.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Outer edges being worn due to nature of front drive axle Mark...tried pressures between 120 and 85, went with 95 based on actual weight on axle.
Good to hear about the wear on those tires though...thanks.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
They went on today at the front...will report back after some miles.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I think he was trying to tell you to run Michelins.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Michelin M/S tires hold up 2:1 better than any At tire down here on SB2 limestone. Yes you pay for them, but they last.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The issue is the front drive axle....it wears them out...and I'm sure as hell not paying for that to have them get eaten up after 50000 miles .

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
have you considered rotating them?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
have you considered rotating them?

Seriously???....they get rotated....I'm going to say this again....the nature of the front drive axle causes wearing of the outer edges of the tires....confirmed by MH themselves.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I most certainly am not bull chitting you, what mileage are you rotating them at? I am guessing both fronts to the rear set pull?

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I am dealing with the exact same issue on this 1/2 ton GM that is wearing out front tires like crazy, if I don't rotate them every 3k they get fubared on the inside edge.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I most certainly am not bull chitting you, what mileage are you rotating them at? I am guessing both fronts to the rear set pull?

My attempt at sarcasm didn't come across :D...of course I rotate them...but it also becomes a logistical and time issue.
They were being rotated about 5000 miles, front, back and side to side.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Oh I know, but I have never seen anything wear front tires like this Silverado work truck. It is not my money (heck if it was, it would be a Ford instead ) smilieFordlogo but a fleet management company should be seeing the numbers. You obviously already have, however the better question is what front diff are you running and is there a way to straighten it? The worn out name brand tires are wearing due to an out of alignment issue. Kinda like the older F Super Duties where the front beams had "do not bend" on them, except if you wanted to keep tires on them, you brought them to a shop and had them bent to properly align them.

Ford Truck Articles