Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

MAF Conversion

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I have a couple of questions on MAF Conversion and any other info I can get on the pro's and con's of this.

I understand MAF will give me a little more horsepower. But will it help with MPG and adjust ability?

Is there anything I am missing? I can research how to do the conversion,I just need to hear about the benefits of this.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I understand that it's actually a little less efficient than speed density. It will make the motor more accepting of anything you change on the motor, though.

Instead of referring to a locked fuel/air ratio table in the computer based on RPM, it instead determines the amount of fuel to inject based on the amount of air that flows in the engine. That's why it's more compatible with changes you make to the engine. It keeps it from running lean/rich and adjusts accordingly.

Which transmission do you have? It's completely mechanical, isn't it?

Ryan

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I understand that it's actually a little less efficient than speed density. It will make the motor more accepting of anything you change on the motor, though.

Instead of referring to a locked fuel/air ratio table in the computer based on RPM, it instead determines the amount of fuel to inject based on the amount of air that flows in the engine. That's why it's more compatible with changes you make to the engine. It keeps it from running lean/rich and adjusts accordingly.

Ryan

Yes I have the original AOD. I went to get a trans filter kit and the part store had it listed as a AOT a bit confusing but it was the right filter.

F150

easy

Ryan

This. When you add a cam/intake/exhaust mods, the motor will be more efficient, and optimize the power adders through proper air/fuel mixture.

primetime

sawmill slave
MAF will probably gain you a fuel mileage increase because it is sequential firing, which means the injector firing order follows the ignition firing order. Trucks like yours are bank to bank which means when the distributor fires a plug on one side of the engine, all four injectors on that side of the engine fire. Idle qaulity and driveability are generally a smidge better also.

And, like the other guys stated, MAF does deal with big changes to the engine better. Speed density will adapt to small changes, but it takes a little time to self learn.

They both need tuned though to really take advantage of any big changes.

Cruise on over to fullsizebronco.com and nloc.net. There are plenty of guys doing this. You`ll find all kinds of stuff to whet your appetite.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts