Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need help!

I put gas in my truck. and started it. It then stalled and wont start. I got a new fuel filter and pump still didnt start. Now today i got a starter pack and a new distributor cap. Still will not start. Someone please help me!:headbang:

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Will it turn over? Do you get any clicks? Can you hear the fuel pump?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Verify you're getting power to the coil, then spark from the coil, then spark from the distributor cap. Also, lean over the carb, with the air cleaner off and the key off, and work the throttle on the side of the carb, you should be able to see the jets spray fuel as you turn the throttle back and forth. Before you go throwing parts at something, always remember that an engine takes 3 things to run....air, fuel and spark. That is the easiest place to begin, in terms of troubleshooting.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Verify you're getting power to the coil, then spark from the coil, then spark from the distributor cap. Also, lean over the carb, with the air cleaner off and the key off, and work the throttle on the side of the carb, you should be able to see the jets spray fuel as you turn the throttle back and forth. Before you go throwing parts at something, always remember that an engine takes 3 things to run....air, fuel and spark. That is the easiest place to begin, in terms of troubleshooting.

Great post reply!!YelloThumbUp :wavey:

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
also troubleshoot the ignition module and magnetic pickup in the distribitor if no spark is present..the ignition modules were pretty common to fail in these rigs.

Run a wire from the positive side of the battery to the key side of the coil be sure to unhook the ignition wire at the coil first. You have bypassed all the wiring in the truck and the truck should start with the key. If it starts then you can check the ignition switch and make sure the hot wire to switch is good. If it does not engage the starter with the key then jump around the starter solenoid, but do it carefully as there will be sparks

Ford Truck Articles