Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

which transmissions?

which transmissions will bolt up to the fe? other than the c6 and 4 speed? or is that all? or is there an overdrive set up that can be put in the c6?

this is a 4wd f150

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
do a search for Gears vendor....if memeory serves me correctly they make an OD unit for the C-6 Tyler, I believe a C-4 with a fe bellhousing were also used,but i would stay with the C-6 or a toploader imo...

Fellro

Staff member
They can be had used on occasion as well. The good thing is the base unit is all the same, so you can take one from any application and convert it to do yours. With the 4wd, you have to mount it behind the transfer case. US Gear makes one as well, but harder to find and is designed to go in between the transfer case and the transmission.

So would I be better off getting a 4 speed? Or getting the overdrive for my transfer case?

Fellro

Staff member
You really don't gain that much in regards to reducing engine rpm's if that is your goal.

Fellro

Staff member
Depends what little more you want. You get a deeper starting gear with the 4 speed and a little less loss at highway speed, but really not a lot of change. Unless the converter is bad, you should get 9/10:1 while the final of the 4 speed is 1:1.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
This is a question that's been around for a long time... And there's really not a good answer. The best I could ever come up with is look for a Clark 5-spd out of an F600 or such with the 361/391 FT. They had an overdrive. Be careful though, some of the 5 speeds were only 1:1 in 5th.

are they any good? or even worth it?
if so, maybe i will keep my c6 throw in a shift kit and an over drive on the case when i get rid of the 203 then build the engine to a 390

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
are they any good? or even worth it?
if so, maybe i will keep my c6 throw in a shift kit and an over drive on the case when i get rid of the 203 then build the engine to a 390

Most defnitly Tyler..I am i FIRM believer of shift kits in these old school transmissions,got one in mine..well worth the cost..you get a firmer,positive shift,when mine shifts it will just about set me back in the seat,under hard throttle it will..:)

i guess i have my truck planned out then. just need to start looking for all my parts and might be selling my dirt bike tomorrow so that extra cash will allow me to buy everything to get it running again finally.

Ford Truck Articles