Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

04 new crank no start

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Went to start the ranger 4.0l yesterday nothing but a click.
Battery is good full charge same thing with jumper box just a click.
The lead up to the no crank goes as follows.

Week prior the battery light came on. Battery tested ok alt tested bad. Replaced alternator bat light still dimly lit and flickering.
Didn't have time to check cables yet but suspect a bad battery cable the cable end on the positive side is sjoeing green death.
Stopped at the local Ford dealer to pick up a cable and guess What discontinued. rockauto has one if that is what it is.
Any other things to look
For other than the cable.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Cables seem most likely, though I guess even with a good charge I wouldn't rule out the battery itself entirely.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I have a new battery for it I never put it in. the battery tested fine on my tester and the one at the parts store.
The cold weather and snow makes working on stuff so fun.
Why can't this stuff happen in nice weather?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thinking cable as well Randy....esp.if the jumper pack did the same thing.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Randy id say 99.98% of the time it sounds as if you got a bad cable there.. (which most likely also what caused your alternator to burn up).. the other .02% could be the starter itself.. only reason i say that is its happened to me with 2 of my older trucks.. One of them kept having problems with a sticky Solenoid on the starter.. (truck would burn through them like an unwatched 5 yr old with a Easter basket full of candy)... the other i had the actual electromagnet winding develop a short in it that would fail to ground through the block.. that one was a headache to troubleshoot.. couldnt figure out why it would crank over so slowly and dash lights would flicker in the process despite multimeters always reading full power everywhere else.. Wasnt till the armature stopped in just the right spot one day to totally kill all the power and not crank at all.

Ford Truck Articles