Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

'88 Ranger stalls when in neutral switching from lo to hi beams

smilieFordlogo I took my '88 Ranger extra cab (2.9L V6 Manual 171K miles) to have it inspected and they said it stalls when in neutral switching from hi to lo beams and vice versa. I said why would I ever do that and they said it won't pass inspection as long as it does. I've had people say it's the voltage regulator and another thinks it's a short in the steering column where the switch is. The ding indicating the keys are still in the ignition on the column doesn't work anymore if that helps. Before going on a wild goose chase spending money I don't have thought I'd check around and see if anyone has seen this before. Thanks for the help.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
First of all, welcome to the site, and second of all... I have never heard of that happening before. I am sure someone with some electrical knowledge will be along shortly to help you out.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Sounds like some sort of short in column between ignition wire and highbeam wire, but I never heard of that being a reason to fail inspection LOL. Welcome to FTF.

Pull the covers off the steering column and leave it idling while moving the control stalk - hopefully you will be able to see what is going on.
:)

we the switch in the coulm went bad in my 87, the head lights wouldn't come on hi or lo, uless i played with it for awhile. i changed the switch and it was golden, but it never stalled.

someone in the Ford Ranger Forum said it couldn't be a short because it would melt and catch fire before stalling. I don't know enough to know if it would or not. However, running on a 12 volt battery and not 110 house wiring, I wonder how it could catch fire.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Doesn't really matter what voltage is involved...when an uncontrolled excess of current flows things heat up. Think of a soldering gun, all that is is a transformer that delivers a very low voltage that is shorted out and look at the heat it produces.

Finally got it fixed. The voltage regulator wasn't the problem. I noticed it would stall when I moved the key slightly. It was the ignition switch and a short. It was even busted apart. Passed inspection so now I can drive legally. Thanks for the help.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts