Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

thermostat parts

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
My '09 Ranger, with the 4.0, seems (based on very preliminary diagnosis) to have a t-stat sticking open...always used to run just below mid-scale on the gauge. Starting yesterday, it climbs maybe a quarter of the way up; a little higher if I'm on the hammer climbing a long steep grade.

I have vague recollections of a conversation with Bill awhile ago about t-stat housings, gaskets, and o-rings...but hanged if I can remember any of the details.

So...assuming I determine it is the thermostat...what parts should I buy beyond the t-stat itself? Guessing I need an o-ring, can't remember if this is one of those engines where you might as well just order the housing while you're at it, or not?

Thanks!

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Isn't there a kit for it?

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
My Focus is a all in one unit with a sensor in it. 90-120 bucks for a thermostat is crazy. I went to get one and the parts guy pulled it up and said holy sh** I knew it wasn't a cheap part.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
.....So...assuming I determine it is the thermostat...

Thanks!

You can easily do this by inserting your ELM (or WIFI) adapter into the OBDII port and using any of the common and/or maybe if preferred, a free app or software and a lappy, set it to monitor the PID for engine temp. You may then present this data as the current + max/min for a duty cycle, or you can graph engine temp over an entire trip, or with Torque, you can graph engine temp and your actual vehicle location (GPS). Hope this cover everything, if not, text away.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yep- just have to find time to play with it- It's been a chaotic week. Next week looks better.

Nicer weather, too...and I should even have some daylight when I can do stuff.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
With ambient temps around freezing, engine temp (per OBD-2) fluctuated between 155-165*F over 20 miles.

Now to find some parts.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
You know what brand to buy, and the reason. :)

Ford Truck Articles