Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

the "green machine" '93 4.0 4x4

racsan

4xford
a few pics are from when i first got it.
still clean & green!
32707001.jpg
Picture003.jpg
fordtruck002.jpg
trucksnowpics013.jpg
filenotfound004.jpg
filenotfound001.jpg
farmdays2008005.jpg
searchresults003.jpg

aUG202122013.jpg
aUG202122015.jpg

tenten005.jpg

with winter rims:
tenten008.jpg

last summer without cap :
new010.jpg

and with the trailer:
restricted008.jpg

farmdays2008006.jpg

racsan

4xford
the spare holder isnt what it seems, theres a eye bolt on the bedside, the washer, hook and big wing nut that retain the spare to the bedside are out of the truck of a '77 nova. the 4-way bar is held to the tire with a rubber strap. i much prefer the spare in the box rather than underneath, and the way ive got it stored its not really in the way, stays clean, easily accesible.

racsan

4xford
latest photo with the new wheels/tires on. defintly a not a tire/wheel combination you'd want on a 2wd, after this photo was took, i did drive out in 2H but almost needed 4wd, doesnt help that the only weight in the back atm is another set of tires. these vibrate a bit, i didnt ask for it but they only put weights on the inboard side of the tire, i would have prefered a normal "full balance". and the right rear has a huge amout of weight on it, over 5 oz i think. not sure if the vibration is just from that tire or all 4. its worse around 20-40, not to noticeable at 55-65. i might pull them and go somewhere to have a full normal balance done on them.

racsan

4xford
im going to look into bead balancing. i read that this particular brand of rims have had issues with balancing. (too bad i got the info about that after the fact!) the brand is bart wheels. they are very heavily built, 1/4" thick center section, not sure what the rimshell thickness is. they are dot approved, the other 3 rims that dont have alot of balance weight have just one weight, maybe 1.5 oz at the most. wonder if the tire was broke down and put back on 180 degrees would make a differance? hard to know if its a tire or rim problem. hate the thought of swapping tires back and forth again, but id much rather do it myself than have the tires either put back on too tight or loose.....id have my own mounting machine and balancer if they didnt coast so much....

racsan

4xford
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?u...tt&th=144b2ba8958edef7&attid=0.0&disp=safe&zw
heres a link to the picture of the tire with all the excessive weights on it, i did put a bead of silicone on due to it looking like the weights could come off. not sure if its because the rim material is thicker than normal or if it was just a poor job done by the "tire guy". is it maybe possible my added silicone could have affected things enough to cause a out of balance condition? i might cut away the rtv with a razor knife and see if that helps....

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Do you like the 4.0 in the ranger? I've only been around the 4 bangers or the 3.0 in rangers. The 4.0 is decent in the explorer but that is pretty heavy.

Ryan

racsan

4xford
i do like my 4.0, this is only my 2nd ranger, first one was a '88 2.3 supercab 2wd, 5 speed 3.73's my '93 is pretty much the same setup but with the 4.0 and 4wd. ive not tried a ohc 4.0, not sure if id like it, ive heard they dont quite have the bottom end grunt of the ohv. plus theres that timing chain issue that some earlier ones had, and you have to pull the motor to do that repair. i had a 3.0 in a '93 taurus, it wasnt half bad, but the taurus weighs less than a ranger and im not sure what the gearing of the taurus would be, its entirely possible that the 3.0 might be fine in a car chassis but horrible in the ranger.

Last edited:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
In high school my folks had an aerostar with the 3.0 and you couldn't kill that thing if you wanted to. I drove it between vehicles and it was a hoot, plenty of power if you ask me. Dad also had the 3.0 in a Taurus and it was pretty zippy but I could tell it was geared different than the Aerostar.

Ryan

racsan

4xford
gave it a bath today and headed for a spot i like to do pictures, was a little wet but got in and out ok.

i did end up pulling all the tires and getting a rebalance done, with weight on both sides of the rim, still has some vibration but its better. love the way wide tires handle on curves, between the wide tires and the new rear sway bar, it really holds the road! eager to try towing now with this setup, but im not running this set of tires in the winter, what little snow ive seen with this set of tires wasnt a fun time. but thats why i have a seperate set of tires/wheels for winter.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
What is that green stuff on the ground?

Ford Truck Articles