Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

what q's to ask

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Well, I got bit by the truck bug again; saw an '87 F150 I liked the other day. Closer look kinda turned me off of it, but then I went and bought a classified ad paper on the way home.

"77 F250 4x4 34k miles. 351M 4 spd. runs exc. little rust, $550"

We're in Maine, and it's 30 years old, so I doubt it's got "little" rust, and I'd bet that odo's turned over a time or two, but for that price....

If I call the guy, what should I be asking him?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Just got off the phone with the guy- turns out "runs exc". doesn't actually mean it starts...

He says it'll run if you pour fuel in the carb, and gas comes out of the fuel pump, so it's something in the carb. Got a couple rust holes that will need patching to get it inspected, bed is off a newer body style truck.

I'm going to go take a look at it tomorrow, I think...

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
misleading ads are always great. I'm not sure what you should ask him but if everything works out post up some pics. Good luck. YelloThumbUp

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yeah, I will. I'll post up a few pics, either way. If I think I can get it patched together enough to inspect and drive easily, I'll be very interested. If not, I'll probably pass.

Guy's gonna be worth meeting, anyway- he spent a couple minutes telling me what he's planning to drink tomorrow afternoon...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yeah. I got the feeling that maybe he'd had the same this afternoon, before I called...

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
well, if my math is right...

alcoholics = always drunk
always drunk = drunk driving
so...
if the truck is intact, then...
drunk driving /= intact truck

He hasn't been driving it.

Ryan

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Correct.

He bought it off a co-worker's brother or something as a project, but doesn't have time to play with it so he figured he'd see if there was any interest in it.

He also told me he's a Chevy guy. (Guess if I drove Chevy's, might make me drink a lot, too...) And made sure I like the Red Sox before he'd even talk to me.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
used car translations:

"needs work" - should be in the wreckng yard

"paint's a little weak" - rust showing through the original factory primer. primer is the only paint left.

"slight engine noise"- bring a tow truck along

"minor body damage"- one or both sides are caved in. You'll wonder if anyone was hurt in the wreck.

"minor fix, don't have time to deal with it." The owner's already spent hundreds or thousands trying to track the problem down, and has decided to make his minor problem someone else's headache.

"High miles, but runs good." It's been to the moon and back.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
It's a real solid place to start a complete rebuild, for sure. I probably could get it patched together enough to inspect without too much trouble, too, but it may be a little rougher than I was looking for.

Holes in both rear cab corners, bottom rotten on both doors. Right door caved in. Bed doesn't match, and is in lousy shape (though it doesn't have any holes, so it'd pass inspection). Only got it running for a couple seconds by pouring gas down the carb, but that shouldn't take too much to fix.

Any thoughts?

I've been dreaming of a '77 (or so) F-series 4x4 for a long time, but I really want the I6...

It's a real solid place to start a complete rebuild, for sure. I probably could get it patched together enough to inspect without too much trouble, too, but it may be a little rougher than I was looking for.

Holes in both rear cab corners, bottom rotten on both doors. Right door caved in. Bed doesn't match, and is in lousy shape (though it doesn't have any holes, so it'd pass inspection). Only got it running for a couple seconds by pouring gas down the carb, but that shouldn't take too much to fix.

Any thoughts?

I've been dreaming of a '77 (or so) F-series 4x4 for a long time, but I really want the I6...
Before ya bother getting it towed home, take a new fuel filter and carb inlet up with ya. Those carb inlets clog up easy... I know first hand. also flush out the fuel line before you attach it to the new inlet... Spray some WD in the carb bowl thru the inlet hole...help loosen up the float.. after you do that give the side of the bowl a good couple of taps with the screwdriver handle... float may be stuck...
If it'll fire and the frame ain't rusted in half, it's probably worth it!

Last edited:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Yeah. The guy seemed like he'd be open to letting it sit at his place for a while, so I could probably get it running there. Only thing is, the nearest place I could park it to work on is probably 100 miles from there, and 250 to where I really want to work on it. A bit further than I'd want to drive something that hasn't been registered since '99 without at least checking the brakes...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
You ain't never driven in Massachuesetts, which is where I want the thing to wind up. Even with everything working better than stock, that'd still be a scary ride. Not saying I wouldn't do it, I'm just saying I know better than to do it.

I wasn't implying you'd be able to drive it home... what I meant was, if it would fire up, she'd drive up onto a trailer... save your arms for wrenching instead of winching, lol...
At least on your way to mass you can stop by "State-Line" and get some stuff to make the work go better, lol.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
OK, I've got you- now I'll just need to find a trailer and something to pull it with.

I really ought to give up on this and look for something that runs and drives...

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Not the lack of challenge, it's just that being at college 300 miles away from home, if I get something this rough, by the time I get it drivable, the whole summer is gone and I'll have to park it again.

What I really want is something to drive while I try to get the suspension in my Ranger to where I want it, then dig into the new vehicle as a project. I'm also considering a Crown Vic that I'd swap a T5 into...

Ford Truck Articles