Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need some quick step by step to fix this scratch please.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Austin?

My grandmother thought her garage door was open all the way and did this......good thing it wasn't an inch or two lower or she would've taken down the door!

But I'd like to fix this for her just because I'm her grandson and I love detailing anyways.

Any help would be appreciated...it looks like it went all the way down to the metal.

Paint code is SZ, Ford Blue Flame.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
Ouch! Take some compound by hand and clean up the edges, wipe with alcohol, then hit it with the touch up paint.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Ken I wouldn't get that touch up paint. I would go to the local auto parts/paint store and have them mix the paint and have them put it in a spray can.
The either sand the edges down with 1000 grit or rubbing compound as Austin said. Then tape off the scratches and spray them with 2-3 coats then polish the area to blend the paint.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Ouch! Take some compound by hand and clean up the edges, wipe with alcohol, then hit it with the touch up paint.

Any special compound? Is that something I can pick up at a local auto parts store? Brand?

Ken I wouldn't get that touch up paint. I would go to the local auto parts/paint store and have them mix the paint and have them put it in a spray can.
The either sand the edges down with 1000 grit or rubbing compound as Austin said. Then tape off the scratches and spray them with 2-3 coats then polish the area to blend the paint.

I have some 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper that I can use to sand the edges.

If your down to the metal get some primer on it first.

Primer first....any kind of over the counter primer ok?

And how about this for the touch up:

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/ford/2011/focus/

It comes in an aerosol can....I've bought from these people twice and the paint was a perfect match each time.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Any special compound? Is that something I can pick up at a local auto parts store? Brand? If you start with sand paper all you will need is polishing compound to blend the painted areas after painting I use the 3M stuff

I have some 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper that I can use to sand the edges.
If the paint edges are really high you may need to stat with a more aggressive grit

Primer first....any kind of over the counter primer ok?
Any auto primer will work here is some on that paint site http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint_primer.aspx

And how about this for the touch up:

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/touch-up-paint/ford/2011/focus/
That will work great
It comes in an aerosol can....I've bought from these people twice and the paint was a perfect match each time.

Hope this helps

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Ok, now that winter is over, I need some help on this please........I don't have any recent pictures yet and I'm hoping to get some this weekend, but here's what I did before snowfall last year over the course of 4 or 5 weekends letting each coat alone for a week, then it got too cold to work on without a heated garage:

I sanded pretty much the entire area down to the metal....all the scratches above in a combined large area......I spray painted a few coats of primer, wet sanding a little in between, then bought some paint match in the aerosol can and put a few coats of that with some light wet sanding in between.

It looks pretty darn good, but it is a matt finish, has some swirl marks from wet sanding, and no clear coat or shine.

Questions:

-what are my next steps to get it to shine?

-do I wet sand some more?
-do I add clear coat? I bought the aerosol clear coat.
-then do I buff?
-wet sand the clear?
-coats in between?
-Grit?

Help please.....it's my grandmother and I need to be a good grandson!

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Ok, now that winter is over, I need some help on this please........I don't have any recent pictures yet and I'm hoping to get some this weekend, but here's what I did before snowfall last year over the course of 4 or 5 weekends letting each coat alone for a week, then it got too cold to work on without a heated garage:

I sanded pretty much the entire area down to the metal....all the scratches above in a combined large area......I spray painted a few coats of primer, wet sanding a little in between, then bought some paint match in the aerosol can and put a few coats of that with some light wet sanding in between.

It looks pretty darn good, but it is a matt finish, has some swirl marks from wet sanding, and no clear coat or shine.

Questions:

-what are my next steps to get it to shine?

-do I wet sand some more?
-do I add clear coat? I bought the aerosol clear coat.I would clear it
-then do I buff? Buff it to match
-wet sand the clear?
-coats in between?
-Grit?

Help please.....it's my grandmother and I need to be a good grandson!

I could clear and buff it to match

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I could clear and buff it to match

Thanks Randy....so you think as it stands.....I should be good to clear coat it and buffing it after a few coats will bring the shine out?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
BEFORE

AFTER

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Not perfect, but not bad for an amateur and this is my first time doing a major job like this......but have to give props and thanks to Austin for privately helping me step by step aside from this thread, down to the chemicals needed for each step.....

Rough sanded probably 2/3 of the entire trunk down to the metal near and around the scratches that went down to the metal.

Then 4 coats of primer to fill the massive gaps and it still wasn't enough.....3 coats of base coat paint match from duplicolor.....then 3 coats of clear with many 1500, 2000, 3000 wet sands in between!

Then Meguire's Scratch X for buffing out.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
There was so much glare cause it was last night and all we had was the top garage lights.....will get a better picture during the day.

Ford Truck Articles