Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Royal Purple...

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
just thinking bout switching over to royal purple in my Flareside in the future. it doesnt leak any oil or use any oil. so i know Tex uses it anyone else???

here is a good vid i found bout the helping on wear and tear if you use royal purple vs. "other brand" which appears to be mobil 1

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Well, IMHO it's good but overpriced.

The neighbor has a pipe cleanin business and runs AmsOil in the trucks.

It's been good enough for them for almost 15 years, and is less expensive then Royal Purple.

Honestly, any good synthetic will be a step up if your running conventional now.

The Rotella T 5w-40 full synthetic is supposed to be a very good product.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Well, IMHO it's good but overpriced.

The neighbor has a pipe cleanin business and runs AmsOil in the trucks.

It's been good enough for them for almost 15 years, and is less expensive then Royal Purple.

Honestly, any good synthetic will be a step up if your running conventional now.

The Rotella T 5w-40 full synthetic is supposed to be a very good product.

yeah i just run regular ole Havoline 5W-30 in the winter and Havoline 10W-30 in the summer.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Wasted money in my opinion... Which type were you thinking of using? Motor oil? ATF?

EDIT: As for Amsoil-- stay WAY away. I put it in my trans (and spent about $150 on the fluid) and it made my torque converter slip BAD!! I switched back to Valvoline Merc/Dex III and it's working great again.

Last edited:

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Wasted money in my opinion... Which type were you thinking of using? Motor oil? ATF?

EDIT: As for Amsoil-- stay WAY away. I put it in my trans (and spent about $150 on the fluid) and it made my torque converter slip BAD!! I switched back to Valvoline Merc/Dex III and it's working great again.

I wouldn't run any kind of synthetic trans fluid, it seems counterintuitive to me. Especially since your E4OD is so picky about Mercon III.

motor oil. but im thinking bout just using Motorcraft synthetic blend 5W-30. that away it aint a full jump to synthetic and plus its only a few cents more that what im running now.

The synthetic blend will not give you many of the benifits of a full synthetic.

The Motorcraft full synthetic 5w-30 should be a very good oil from what i've heard.

EDIT: IIRC his 351w is high milage (200,000+). switching to synthetic may not be a good idea for him...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Been using it for years in everything and never,ever had a problem.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
remember not to run synthetic in your new motor until it's broken in.

use a good quality conventional until then. but not rotella t, the high detergents keep the rings from breaking in.

if your running a flat tappet cam, remember to use a break in additive to break the cam in.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
then don't worry about the cam break in additive, but still stay away from synthetic and diesel conventionals (rotella, delo, delvac) until it's broken in.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
EDIT: IIRC his 351w is high milage (200,000+). switching to synthetic may not be a good idea for him...

haha 230k but dont leak any oil or use any... just weak.

yeah, i'd steer clear of synthetic if I was you Chris...... it may create oil leaks where there are none now.

it happens...
My thoughts exactly. It's a bad idea to use dino for many miles before switching to synthetic. It can often create new oil leaks or make existing ones worse (as it did for me when I tried Mobil 1). I'd steer clear Chris.

Ford Truck Articles